Connecting over the Internet
With Remote Utilities you can connect to a remote PC located behind a firewall and/or router. No additional router configuration is required on the Host side.
Before you start
- Install the Viewer and Host on the admin (local) and remote PC respectively.
- Make sure both computers have working Internet access.
- Right-click the Host icon and select Internet-ID Connection Settings:
- Click Get New ID:
- A unique Internet-ID will be generated. Note and record the ID and close the settings.
- After a while a small blue dot will appear on the Host icon in the system tray. This means that the Host has successfully connected to an intermediary server on the web and is ready for connection:
- Start the Viewer app and click Add connection:
- Enter a descriptive name and the Internet-ID of the Host PC. Click OK:
- Enter Host access password in the password prompt and click OK:
- The remote session will start in the selected connection mode. In this example it’s the Full Control mode:
- The connection will be saved to your address book automatically:
If you have difficulty making the Internet-ID connection work, please check this troubleshooting guide.
You do NOT have to generate an Internet-ID for each remote session. The ID remains the same unless you manually change it using the Advanced ➝ Get new ID command in the Internet-ID Connection Settings dialog.