About MSI Configurator
MSI configuration is a process of modifying the default (vanilla) Host installer using a special built-in tool called MSI Configurator. At the end of the configuration process you can save the output file and then use it for installation.
You must run the Viewer as administrator in order to use the built-in MSI Configurator:
When to use
MSI configuration normally precedes remote installation whenever you need to install Hosts with identical settings across a great number of remote PCs (e.g. in a local network). Thus, MSI configuration saves you a lot of time — instead of configuring each and every Host after installation you simply pre-configure the Host installer and then mass-deploy it on as many computers as you need.
MSI configuration is an advanced feature mostly used in a network environment where large-scale routine operations are common. If you only have a few remote PCs (like 1-10) OR each Host needs to have unique settings, then you probably do not need MSI configuration. Simply install the vanilla Host and then manually change the Host settings on each remote PC.
MSI Configurator tool
To launch the tool, run the Viewer as an administrator, select the Tools tab and click MSI Configurator.
The configuration steps and options are explained below.
Step 1: Selecting Host package
In this step you need to specify the path to the latest vanilla Host installer file.
Step 2: Selecting output package type
The type of package you select depends on your purpose:
- Standard MSI package — for manual installation or remote deployment through Active Directory.
- One-click installer — for silent installation in one click.
- Agent — for customizing the Agent with your logo and welcome text.
Step 3: Advanced options
- Generate a new internet ID at the first launch of the program Select this feature if you want the remote Host to automatically send you connection credentials via email upon installation. When you select this option the other checkboxes on this tab also become selectable.
- Send ID to email Specify your e-mail address here.
- Ask the user to identify himself When this option is selected, the Host will ask the remote user to enter their name. This name will then be sent in the email message along with access credentials.
- Automatically generate Host password Select this option to have a unique access password generated for each Host that you install from the configured package. The password will be sent to you in the same email message as the ID.
- Encrypt password The password sent via email is always encrypted.
- Custom text for email You can label/tag Hosts installed from this package by adding text in this field. This text is included in the email message.
- Do not ask for confirmation This option is only available for the "One-Click" package. When selected, the program will NOT ask the remote user to confirm installation.
- Do not create shortcuts in the Start menu Self-explanatory.
- Do not install virtual printer The option is available for all packages. When this option is selected, virtual printer installation will be skipped.
- Show disclaimer at startup This option is only available when you select the "Agent" type of package in Step 2. When it is selected, the program will show an "Accept/Reject" message with a disclaimer text that you can customize. The remote user will have to click "Accept" for the Agent to start.
"Integrate your logo" tab
This tab is only available when you select the "Agent" type of package in Step 2.
- Customize "Agent" - enable Agent customization options below and specify the path to a logo that you want the Agent window to display.
- Do not stretch logo - the logo is stretched or shrunk automatically to fill the available area. This option disables stretching/shrinking. If you want the image to display without stretching or shrinking and fill the whole available area, make it 410px x 100px.
- Title - the text entered here will be shown in the Agent window title.
- Text - text of the custom message.
- Select text color - set text color for the custom message.
- Select background color - set background color of the customized area of the Agent window.
- Preview - click to see how the customized portion of your Agent window looks like.
Step 4: Settings update
In this step you can pre-configure Host settings or skip the Host settings configuration (i.e. use the default Host settings).
If you are going to remotely update existing Host installations with your custom installer, be especially careful when choosing options in this step. Most likely you will want to retain connectivity with your remote Hosts after the update. Therefore, even if you choose to pre-configure Host settings make sure that you select at least Keep remote Hosts's Internet ID settings so that you can connect to the remote Host using the same Internet-ID and password after the remote update.
- Pre-configure Host settings Select this option if you want to change the default Host settings.
- Keep remote Host’s Internet ID settings If you are going to use the custom installer for updating rather than for a fresh install, selecting this checkbox will prevent the remote Host's Internet ID from being overwritten. This will let you retain connectivity with the remote PC after the remote update.
- Keep remote Host’s password and authorization settings Keep the access password and other authorization settings of the remote Host from being overwritten during update.
- Skip Host settings configuration Keep the default (vanilla) settings for the Host.
- Do not close after configuration Keep the MSI configurator window open after the configuration is complete.
Step 5: Host settings
If you selected Pre-configure Host settings in the previous step, the Host settings window will open. Refer to the Host settings section for more information on available settings.
Set desired options and click Close (the X button). The configuration process will begin.