Your purchase of a Remote Utilities license is a one-time payment (NOT a subscription). This purchase gives you the right to use the current major version of the software indefinitely and receive free technical support.
There are two kinds of upgrades:
- Product version upgrade. Upgrading your product installation (program files) to a newer version. This can be a major or minor upgrade;
- License upgrade. Upgrading your license by increasing the number of available concurrent techs and/or endpoints.
Upgrading product version
This upgrade policy uses the terms "major version" and "minor version".
A major version is defined by the first number in a version number. When the first number in a version number increments, then this is a major upgrade. For example, upgrading from version 6.x.x.x to version 7.x.x.x is a major upgrade.
A minor version is defined by the numbers after the first dot in a version number. When these numbers change while the first number remains unchanged, then this is a minor upgrade. For example, upgrading from version 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124 is a minor upgrade.
Major version — Free upgrade
You are entitled to a free upgrade to the next major version if less than 12 months have elapsed between the purchase date and the new major version release date.
Major version — Paid upgrade
If more than 12 months have elapsed between the purchase date and the new major version release date, you are entitled to a paid upgrade with a 50% discount.
Minor version — Always free upgrade
Minor version upgrades are always free. When a new minor version of the product is available, you are entitled to a free upgrade provided that you already own a license key for the current version.
License key compatibility
License keys are not compatible across major versions. If you have a license key from a previous major version, you must upgrade your key before you can use the new product version. Use our Upgrade Form to upgrade your old license key.
For minor version upgrades, your existing license key doesn't have to be replaced or upgraded.
Upgrading your license
Upgrading your license can mean one of the following:
- Adding more concurrent techs to your Starter, Mini or Pro license;
- Changing your current license type to the next highest license type, for example, upgrading from Starter to Mini. This will increase the number of available endpoints per tech;
- Increasing the number of techs for your Endpoint license.
Note: You cannot convert "admin" licenses (Starter, Mini, and Pro) to Endpoint licenses and vice versa, as these licenses use a different pricing basis.
License upgrade calculation
When upgrading your license, you only pay the difference between the cost of the target license and the cost of your existing license.
The license upgrade cost is calculated using the following formula:
CU = CTL – CCL
- CU — upgrade cost1
- CTL — cost of target license
- CCL — cost of current license
You want to upgrade your current 3-tech STARTER license to a 3-tech MINI license, thus increasing the number of available endpoints per tech from 20 to 50. In this example, the number of allowed concurrent techs (3) stays the same.
- Target license cost (CTL) = 3 x $219 = $657
- Current license cost (CCL) = 3 x $94 = $282
- Upgrade cost (CU) = $657 - $282 = $375
You can upgrade from a 3-tech STARTER to a 3-tech MINI license for $375.
You want to add 2 more allowed concurrent techs to your 3-tech STARTER license, thus expanding it to a 5-tech STARTER license. The number of endpoints per tech remains the same (20) since the license type (STARTER) does not change.
- Target license cost (CTL) = 5 x $88 = $440
- Current license cost (CCL) = 3 x $94 = $282
- Upgrade cost (CU) = $440 - $282 = $158
You can upgrade from a 3-tech STARTER to a 5-tech STARTER license for $158.
You own a 100-computer ENDPOINT license. You want to add 50 more endpoints to your license to have a 150-computer ENDPOINT license in the end. Note that the number of concurrent techs is unlimited for the Endpoint license type and, therefore, irrelevant for the calculation.
- Target license cost (CTL) = $1485 ("Up to 150 endpoints" tier)
- Current license cost (CCL) = $1347 ("Up to 100 endpoints" tier)
- Upgrade cost (CU) = $1485 - $1347 = $138
You can upgrade from a 100-computer ENDPOINT license to a 150-computer ENDPOINT license for $138.
Purchasing license upgrade
In order to upgrade your license please visit our Buy upgrade form. Use the form to estimate the upgrade cost and order an upgrade key. Please note that we accept major credit cards and PayPal payments on our upgrade form.
1 In some cases the final upgrade cost may be a few cents below the amount calculated by the formula. This is due to payment processing requirements. Prices are taken from the appropriate pricing bracket of the volume discounts table.