Your purchase of a Remote Utilities license is a one-time payment (NOT a subscription). This purchase gives you the right to use the current major version of the software indefinitely and receive free technical support.
There are two kinds of upgrade:
- Product version upgrade. Upgrading your product installation (program files) to a newer version. This can be major or minor upgrade;
- License upgrade. Upgrading your license by increasing the number of available concurrent techs and/or endpoints.
Upgrading product version
This upgrade policy uses the terms "major version" and "minor version".
A major version is defined by the first figure in a version number. When the first figure in a version number increments, then this is a major upgrade. For example, upgrade from version 18.104.22.168 to version 22.214.171.124 is a major upgrade.
A minor version is defined by the figures after the first dot in a version number. When these figures change while the first figure remains unchanged, then this is a minor upgrade. For example, upgrade from version 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52 is a minor upgrade.
Major version — Free upgrade
You are entitled to a free upgrade to the next major version if less than 12 months have elapsed between the purchase date and the new major version release date.
Major version — Paid upgrade
You are entitled to a paid upgrade with a 50% discount, if more than 12 months have elapsed between the purchase date and the new major version release date.
Minor version — Always free upgrade
Minor version upgrade is always free. When a new minor version of the product is available, you are entitled to a free upgrade provided that you already own a license key for the current version.
License key compatibility
License keys are not compatible across major versions. If you have a license key from a previous major version, you must upgrade your key before you can use the new product version. Use our Upgrade Form to upgrade your old license key.
For minor version upgrades, your existing license key doesn't have to be replaced or upgraded.
Upgrading your license
Upgrading your license can mean one of the following:
- Adding more concurrent techs to your Starter, Mini or Pro license;
- Changing your current license type to the next highest license type. For example, upgrading Starter to Mini. This will increase the number of available endpoints per tech;
- Increasing the number of techs for your Endpoint license.
You cannot convert "admin" licenses (Starter, Mini and Pro) to Endpoint license and vice versa, because these licenses use different basis for pricing.
License upgrade calculation
When upgrading your license, you are only paying the difference between the cost of the target license and the cost of your existing license.
The license upgrade cost is calculated using a simple formula:
CU = CTL – CCL
- CU — upgrade cost1
- CTL — cost of target license
- CCL — cost of current license
You want to upgrade your current 3-tech STARTER license to a 3-tech MINI license thus increasing the number of available endpoints per tech from 20 to 50. In this example the number of allowed concurrent techs (3) stays the same.
- Target license cost (CTL) = 3 x $219 = $657
- Current license cost (CCL) = 3 x $94 = $282
- Upgrade cost (CU) = $657 - $282 = $375
You can upgrade from 3-tech STARTER to 3-tech MINI for $375.
You want to add 2 more allowed concurrent techs to your 3-tech STARTER license, thus expanding it to a 5-tech STARTER license. The number of endpoints per tech remains the same (20) since the license type (STARTER) does not change.
- Target license cost (CTL) = 5 x $88 = $440
- Current license cost (CCL) = 3 x $94 = $282
- Upgrade cost (CU) = $440 - $282 = $158
You can upgrade from 3-tech STARTER to 5-tech STARTER for $158.
You own a 100-computer ENDPOINT license. You want to add 50 more endpoints to your license to have a 150-computer ENDPOINT license in the end. Note: the number of concurrent techs is unlimited for the Endpoint license type and therefore irrelevant for the calculation.
- Target license cost (CTL) = $1485 ("Up to 150 endpoints" tier)
- Current license cost (CCL) = $1347 ("Up to 100 endpoints" tier)
- Upgrade cost (CU) = $1485 - $1347 = $138
You can upgrade from 100-endpoint to 150-endpoint for $138.
Purchasing license upgrade
In order to upgrade your license please visit our Buy upgrade form. Use the form to estimate the upgrade cost and order an upgrade key.
1 In some cases the final upgrade cost may be a few cents below the amount calculated by the formula. This is due to payment processing requirements. Prices are taken from the appropriate pricing bracket of the volume discounts table.