About RU Server
Remote Utilities Server (RU Server) is a free stand-alone program that integrates with Remote Utilities and enhances its capabilities.
Remote Utilities works out-of-the-box and does NOT require RU Server for work. RU Server is just a free option that adds to Remote Utilities existing functionality.
In this topic:
RU Server uses the client-server model and consists of two parts:
- Service. This is a core component of RU Server. For simplicity, we'll use the term "server" when referring to the RU Server's service.
- Administrator console. The console is a GUI interface that lets you administer the server, view the list of currently connected Viewers and Hosts, etc.
When you install RU Server from the installer file, both components are installed on the same PC. However, the Administrator Console can also reside on a different PC in which case you can remotely connect from the AC to the service using TCP/IP connection. See Connecting to a remote server for more information.
Currently, RU Server has two roles:
- Self-hosted intermediary server. This role lets you route your Internet ID connections through your self-hosted server rather than through our company's servers. Learn how to set up Viewer and Host to use RU Server.
- Synchronization server. This role lets you automatically sync Remote Utilities' address book among multiple technicians. Learn how to set up this role.
You can use either role, or both roles at once. Or you can deploy RU Server on two different machines and use a different role on each machine.
- RU Server will run on Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2012/2008/2003, 64-bit included. There are no special hardware requirements.
- RU Server must be accessible directly by an IP address or DNS name. For example, if you deploy RU Server on a cloud/web Windows hosting, make sure it has a static IP address or DNS name. If you deploy RU Server on your premises and the server is located behind your company firewall, add a port forwarding rule to forward ports 5655 and 5670 to the PC where RU Server is installed. More about ports.