- Update the Viewer first.
- Update the Hosts second. It is recommended that you update 1-2 Hosts first, to make sure that you understand the procedure. Then proceed with updating the other Hosts.
- When the update is finished, wait 10-15 seconds for the remote Host service to restart before connecting to the remote PC.
- If you want to update the remote Host without changing its settings (i.e. the ID, password, etc.), use the vanilla installer. If you are using a custom installer, make sure that you select "Skip Host settings configuration" on the fourth step of the MSI configuration process.
Run the Viewer installer file (
viewer6.x.msi) on the Viewer PC and follow the installation instructions. Your existing address books will get imported to the new Viewer automatically.
You will know that a remote Host is outdated and requires an update when a special icon appears beside the Host thumbnail in the Viewer’s address book:
Updating Host locally
The simplest way to update the Host is to run the installer file while being physically at the remote PC. Just run the Host installer file
host6.x.msi on the remote PC and follow the installation instructions.
Updating Host remotely
If you have multiple Hosts in different locations, a better option would be to update them remotely via a LAN or the Internet using the built-in Remote Install tool:
- Make sure that you have updated the Viewer to the latest version.
- Open the Viewer and select the Tools tab. Select the Hosts that you want to update and click Update Outdated Hosts.
- The Remote Install tool window will open. Notice that all outdated Hosts are pre-selected:
- In the Connection type field select Remote Utilities Security.
- In the Action field select Upgrade host.
- In the Specify… field, click on Browse and select the Host installer file (
Make sure that you select the most recent version of the Host. This should be the same version as your Viewer.
- Click Process Action and wait until all the selected PCs are updated. You can monitor the update process in the Action log tab.
- Log on again to the remote PCs to update their status in the Viewer’s connection list. If you have successfully updated the remote Hosts, the Outdated Hosts icon should disappear.