Updating Remote Utilities
- Update the Viewer first.
- Update the Hosts second. Regardless of what update method you choose, try to update 1-2 Hosts first, to make sure that you understand the procedure. It is advised to update Hosts in small groups, one group at a time.
- When a Host is updated, wait 10-15 seconds for the remote Host service to restart before connecting to the Host.
Method 1: Automatic
Starting from version 188.8.131.52 the Viewer can be updated automatically, although the user still needs to initiate the update process.
To update the Viewer using this method:
- Make sure Viewer is version 184.108.40.206 or later. See Help → About Remote Utilities. Otherwise, use Method 2 below.
- Click Help → Check for updates. If a new update is available, the program will prompt you to start the update process. Click Yes.
- The update process will start. The Viewer will automatically download the latest version, update itself and restart:
Method 2: Manual
Download and run the Viewer installer file (
viewer6.x.msi) on the Viewer PC and follow the installation instructions. Your existing address books and settings will get imported to the new Viewer automatically.
In order for your license information to be properly transferred onto the updated version, make sure that you select the first radiobutton on the Select installation type step of the installation wizard:
Method 1: Automatic
Starting from version 220.127.116.11 the Host can be updated automatically, although the user still needs to initiate the update process. Updating of the Hosts is initiated from the Viewer side.
Use this method if you want to update the program only, i.e. without updating any existing Host settings at the same time. In most cases this method is all that you need in order to remotely update your Hosts from the Viewer. For an advanced update that involves updating Host settings, please refer to Method 3 below.
Here is how to proceed with automatic Host update:
- Open the Viewer and switch to the Details view. In this view you can tell which of your Hosts require update and view the current version of the Hosts:
- Make sure that the Hosts that you want to update are version 18.104.22.168 or later and that they require updating. Select the Hosts to update, right-click on the selection and choose Simple update:
- Make sure that checkboxes are selected for the Hosts you are updating and click Update:
- You will be notified when the update process starts:
When you initiate the update process each Host independently connects to our web servers in order to download the latest update file. If you noticed that some of your Hosts didn't update, this could mean that they couldn't connect to our update server. You can check Host logs for more information.
- Allow a minute or two and then re-logon to the Hosts to update their version number in the Details view. Make sure that the Hosts are updated to the most recent version:
Method 2: Manual
This method is suitable if you have few remote PCs and you can be physically at them. Just download and run the Host installer file
host6.x.msi on each remote PC and follow the installation instructions.
Method 3: Advanced update
This method requires using the Remote Install tool. You might need to use this method in the following situations:
- You need to change/update existing Host settings. For example, you want to change Host access password, other security settings or some of the Host options. Note that updating same-version Hosts is also possible.
- You need to update Host version only (i.e. without settings update) but for some reason you cannot use the Method 1 above. For example, your Hosts are deployed in an isolated network without Internet access or you have strict network rules for outbound connections that might prevent the Hosts from connecting to our update server.
Here is how to proceed with the advanced update:
- Make sure that you have updated the Viewer to the latest version. See Updating Viewer.
- Prepare your custom Host installer using the MSI Configurator. This should be an
.msifile configured using the "Standard MSI" option of the MSI configurator.
- Open the Viewer and select the Tools tab. Select the Hosts that you want to update and click Update Outdated Hosts.
Alternatively, you can right click on the selected Hosts and select Remote Install... from the menu.
- The Remote Install tool window will open. Notice that all outdated Hosts are pre-selected:
- In the Connection type field select Remote Utilities Security or Windows Security depending on which authorization method is set on your remote Hosts.
- In the Action field select Upgrade host.
- In the Specify… field, click on Browse and select the Host installer file.
This can be either the vanilla Host installer (
host6.x.msi) or your custom Host installer. Here we assume that you use your custom installer in order to update existing Host settings with new ones.
- Click Process Action and wait until all the selected Hosts are updated. You can monitor the update process in the Action log tab.
- Log on again to the remote PCs to update their status in the Viewer’s connection list. If you have successfully updated the remote Hosts, the Outdated Hosts icon should disappear.