Backing up address books
Address books are important as they contain credentials for accessing all your remote PCs. Make sure that you always have a recent backup of your address books.
By default, automatic daily backups are enabled when you install the Viewer. The General address book as well as any custom address book that you add to the Viewer gets backed up on a daily basis.
The default location for your backups is:
- Windows 7 and higher:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\address_book_backup\
- Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Remote Utilities Files\address_book_backup\
Backups are created daily per address book. For example, if you have three address books in your Viewer, each day three backup files will be created and put in the backup folder.
You can disable automatic backups (not recommended) or change the default backup directory in the Viewer options:
- Open the Viewer, select the Tools tab and click Options.
- Select the Misc tab. To disable backups, uncheck Backup address book. To change the directory, click Browse and select a new destination folder.
You can manually create a backup of an address book using either of these methods:
- Select the address book in the left pane, click Tools ➝ Export connections and save the address book as an .xml file to a desired location.
- Copy the
xmlfile itself to a different place. For example, the default destination for the General address book (on Windows 7 and higher) is
C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\connections_4.xml. To manually back up this address book, copy the file
connections_4.xmlto a different location.
Restoring address book from a backup
A backup file is just a zipped address book
.xml file. In order to restore your address book from a backup:
- Navigate to the backups folder (see above for the default locations) and select the backup file of the address book that you want to restore.
- Unzip the file to a location on your computer where it will be safe from accidental deletion.
- Open the Viewer, navigate to the Tools tab and click Address book manager.
- Click Add, select Open existing address book and click OK.
- Select the address book file you have just unzipped and click Open.
- Click on the Name column to rename your address book to something more descriptive.
- Click Close. Your address book will appear in the Viewer.