How do I migrate RU Server (self-hosted server) to another PC?
You want to migrate your RU Server installation to another machine (physical or virtual) and keep RU Server settings and data.
Where does RU Server keep its data and settings?
There are two locations:
- Program installation folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Server\, namely:
datafolder is where the server copies of your synced address books are stored, if any.
Logsfolder keeps server system log.
statsfolder keeps a log of all Internet-ID connections established through the server.
- Registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities\MiniInternetIdwith the server's own configuration settings.
- Install the Server on the new machine. Follow the server installation tutorial as a guide.
- Copy the folders
stats(see above) to the server installation folder on the new machine. Choose Replace existing when asked by the operating system.
- On the old machine run Windows registry editor (regedit.exe), locate the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities\MiniInternetId, right click on the key and select Export. Save the
- On the new machine run Windows registry editor and import the
.regfile you created in the previous step by using the File → Import... command in the Windows registry editor window.
- Restart the server machine.
If your server IP address or DNS name didn't change, you should be able to have your address book sync and custom server security authorization work right away after the migration. In this case you can safely skip the following two sections.
Updating server sync settings
In case you used address book sync, your server address books should get migrated onto the new server provided that you copied the
data folder as instructed above.
However, if your server IP address or DNS name changed, you must add your new server address in the Viewer and also update your synced book properties. Please, follow the instructions below:
- Open the Viewer, select the Manage tab and click Server manager...:
- In the Servers window click Add:
- Type in the server name and address and click OK:
- Your new server should appear on the list. Click OK to close the Server Manager:
- Right-click on your synced address book and select Address book manager:
- Select your synced address book in the list and click Edit:
- Navigate to the Online synchronization tab, select your new server from the list and click OK:
- Sign in on the server using the same server access credentials you used before the migration. Notice how the address book icon in the Viewer will turn into a regular cloud icon without an exlamation sign. This means that the sync process has been set up successfully.
Updating server authorization settings
If you used authorization through the server and your server IP address or DNS name changed, you must update the server address in the Custom Server Security tab on each Host. To access the tab, open Settings for Host → Authorization → Custom server security.
There are three different ways to update Host authorization settings if your Hosts have already been deployed:
- Manually on each Host machine.
- Remotely from the Viewer using Remote Settings, provided that you can still connect to your Hosts through the old server.
- By building a new Host installer in the MSI configurator and updating your Host installations using a distribution method available to you (e.g. push-install using GPO, manually, etc.).