Before you start:
- Download and install the latest version of Viewer on the computer where you are going to run the configuration process.
- If you already have Host installed and running on the Viewer PC — stop Host (right click on the Host tray icon and select Stop Host).
Where to Use
Use the "One-Click" configuration option to build an easy-to-install Host package. The output
.exe file is a self-extracting Host installer with your custom settings. A remote user will only need to run the file to install Host on their computer.
For the purposes of this tutorial, we will assume you have the following goals:
- Goal 1 Enable Internet-ID connection on Host.
- Goal 2 Configure Host to send the Internet-ID access credentials to you via email.
- Goal 3 Enable notification panel.
- Goal 4 Protect Host settings with a password.
Let’s see how you can configure the Host installer to achieve these goals.
Run Viewer as an administrator and select Tools ➝ MSI Configurator:
Step 1: Specify how the configuration process should proceed
Select Online configurator and click Next:
In this tutorial we select Online configurator at step 1. With this option your choices are uploaded to our server and a final output file is downloaded. The output file is signed with our digital signature. The Online configurator option is recommended in most cases.
Step 2: Select the type of distribution
Select One-Click package and click Next.
Step 3: Advanced options
On the "Internet-ID" tab do the following:
- Select the following checkboxes (Goal 1):
- Set or update Internet-ID connection settings
- Generate a new Internet-ID code
- Send Internet-ID to email
- Select Automatically generate Host password. Each Host will have a unique randomly generated access password.
- Select Use default (public) Internet-ID server. Each Host will use our company's Internet-ID server in the cloud to broker a remote connection.
In this example we'll be using a free Gmail account without two-factor authentication. Adding SMTP server information will let Hosts send emails with access credentials to the email address that you specify (Goal 2).
If your email account uses 2-factor authentication, you will need to create an "application password". Please, refer to your account documentation for more information. Example: How to sign in using app passwords in Gmail.
- Click Configure SMTP...:
- Enter your SMTP server account details and access credentials. Modify the message template if necessary and click Send test email:
- If you entered your email account credentials correctly, a "successful" message will appear:
- You should receive a test message to your "Destination email" address:
- In the Configure SMTP window click OK. Read the disclaimer message and click Yes if you agree (and No if you do not agree):
- Click Next to proceed to the next configuration step:
Step 4: Settings update
Select Pre-configure and enable General and network settings. Click Finish:
The Host configuration window will open:
Enable Show notification panel (Goal 3):
Navigate to Settings protection:
Select Password protect settings. Enter and confirm settings protection password (Goal 4). Click OK and close the settings protection window:
Click OK to close Host settings configuration window:
The configuration process will begin:
At the end of the configuration process the output file will download:
You will be prompted to save the output file. Choose a destination and click Save:
Configuration has been finished successfully. Click OK to close the configuration window.
This is how to install Host from the configured package:
Copy the file onto the target computer and double click the file to run it:
In the User Account Control (UAC) prompt click Yes:
You will be prompted if you want to proceed with the installation. Click Yes:
To disable this message you can select Do not ask for confirmation before installation in Step 3 of the configuration wizard.
The installation process will begin in the background. Once it is finished, the Host icon will appear in the system tray on the remote computer:
Connecting to the remote PC
During Host configuration you instructed the program to use your SMTP server for sending the Internet-ID code and a randomly generated access password to your email address.
Once Host installation is completed Host connects to your SMTP server and sends an email message with access credentials:
The "Encrypted code" text block contains your Host access credentials in an encrypted form. Now you need to add a new connection to your Viewer's address book:
- Open Viewer, click Connection → Add using code:
- Copy the encrypted code from the email message and paste into the form. Click OK:
- A new connection will be created in the address book with computername as connection name:
- To connect to the remote PC in the Full Control mode, right click on the connection entry and select Full Control from the menu:
- A remote desktop window will open. Now that a remote session has started, a notification panel appears on the remote PC. You enabled the corresponding Host option during one-click configuration (goal 3):
- Use the same routine for each new remote PC that you want to add to your address book.
If your Viewer is in the trial mode or registered with a FREE, STARTER or MINI license the following message will be shown:
Learn more about this first connection warning.