Before you start:
Where to use
The Agent configuration option allows you to customize the Agent module. You can add your logo and welcome text, and pre-configure Agent settings.
For the purposes of this tutorial, we will assume that you have the following goals when building an Agent package:
- Goal 1 Generate an Internet-ID and send it to the specified e-mail address.
- Goal 2 Also generate and send an access password.
- Goal 3 You want the program to display a disclaimer message at Agent startup. For example, if you are providing remote support services you can display your rate card before a remote session starts.
- Goal 4 You want the Agent window to display your company logo and welcome text.
Let’s see how you can configure the program to achieve these goals.
Run the Viewer as an administrator, select the Tools tab and click MSI Configurator:
Step 1: Select the path to the Host file
Specify the path to the Host installer file (
.msi). Click Next.
Step 2: Select the type of distribution
Select Agent package and click Next.
Step 3: Advanced options
- On the Internet ID tab check the Generate a new Internet ID at the first launch… checkbox and enter your e-mail address in the field (Goal 1).
- Make sure the Automatically generate Host password check box is checked (Goal 2).
- Switch to the Other tab and check Show disclaimer at startup (Goal 3). Enter the text of the disclaimer in the field.
- Switch to the Integrate your logo tab and add your logo and welcome text in the appropriate fields (Goal 4). Click Preview to see how the Agent window will look like after the customization.
- Click Next.
Step 4: Settings update
In this step you can pre-configure Host/Agent settings. Neither of our goals for this tutorial requires settings configuration, so we can skip this step. Select Skip Host settings configuration and click Finish.
Running the Agent
When the remote user runs the configured Agent executable on a remote PC:
- A disclaimer window will be shown with the text that you specified.
- Since you have enabled Generate a new Internet ID and send it to e-mail option, a message will be shown to the user sitting at the remote PC asking her to confirm sending their ID to the e-mail specified. The e-mail will not be sent without the remote user’s confirmation.
The warning message cannot be disabled in the configuration settings because it is a key component of the remote user’s privacy.
- If the remote user accepts the disclaimer text and clicks OK in the sending confirmation window, the program will automatically send the Internet ID and access password in an encrypted e-mail message to the administrator.
- The Agent window will be shown with the integrated logo and welcome text.
Adding a new connection to the Viewer
The ID and password are sent to the technician in an email message as an encrypted text. To decrypt the text and add a new connection to your address book use the Add using code feature. Refer to the Adding connections section for more information.