In what way are we customers paying if it is not in money?
Free license users are helpful in several ways:
- They help spread the word about Remote Utilities. - Many of our free license users end up purchasing a commercial license when they exceed the free license limits. - Reporting bugs in the software and giving us ideas on improving the program.
Who and how is supporting this company? Is it only large-scale users who pay for more features/computers?
The only source of our financing are our profits. This is boring and not something TechCrunch or Mashable will be willing to write about :)
Also, why is the self-hosted server software free?
Because the competition is fierce.
You'd think we'd have to pay for that, at least, because if we are not using your software for the internet-ID connection, you don't have our information on your servers (but we hope we can trust you anyway?)
Information that goes through our ID servers is encrypted. We cannot read it anyway. And yet, we also provide the self-hosted server for companies who need even more security and who cannot trust just any third-party developer or cloud hosting provider.
You can also refer to this FAQ page, and specifically the second question on that page. It lists all possible cases when Remote Utilities may contact our servers (e.g. update, Internet-ID connection etc.) and all of them can be either disabled, or replaced with self-hosted alternative such as the self-hosted server.
I have successfully created MSI files using the Configurator with the Host installed in the past. I tried today and it failed with a warning dialog that states "Remote Utilities Host was found on this computer. It must be uninstalled.
Please, check if there is a registry entry
. If so, feel free to delete this key restart the Viewer and try configuring again.
By the way, we recommend that you use the Online configurator option over the Legacy option. With the Online configurator option your Host installer will come signed with our digital signature. Besides, this ensures that the input Host file (the vanilla Host fed to the configurator) is the correct file.
We have checked this case with the screensaver starting on the log in screen, but didn't find any anomalies. Here is how we tested:
1. Host - Windows 10. Screensaver enabled with a 1 min interval, and starting on the log in screen.
2. Viewer - Windows XP. "Remove wallpaper" and "Lock workstation on disconnect" options are enabled in connection properties.
3. When connecting to remote Host in Full Control mode, wallpaper is removed. When closing the Full Control mode (without logging off the Host in the Viewer) , the screen is locked. Launching the Full Control mode again - the screensaver is shown. Need to click on the screensaver screen to invoke the log in/unlock screen, then entering into the system - the wallpaper is removed.
4. The same as above only this time not just closing the Full Control mode but also logging off the remote Host. When logging back on again, starting the Full Control mode, going through the screensaver screen and unlocking the machine - the wallpaper is removed.
Could you confirm that you do the same? By the way, what operating system is on the Host and Viewer side? Also, please make sure that you update RU Host and Viewer to the latest version (currently it's 22.214.171.124).
We will do our best to release it as soon as possible. Currently, we are also working on 6.9 update which will provide some significant changes and improvements to the Host authorization system and also introduce a 2-factor authentication.
You are absolutely right. When surfing the web small network disruptions go unnoticed because of the way the web browsers work - they download the content from the web server to your RAM and you in fact are viewing the pages offline until the next server request.
On the contrary, with Remote Utilities you need to keep a stable connection all the time so that keep alive packets can reach their destination. That's why the program is sensitive to the quality of the network connection.
If we can help you with anything else, don't hesitate to send us a message or post on the forum.
Perhaps there was an issue with the Viewer configuration file after the update. Anyway, we will improve the configuration file mechanism in the upcoming 6.9 release so this problem will be no more in the future.
Don't hesitate to send us a message or ask on the forum whenever you need help.