One more thing I've found: If you remotely update, and include a new password in the msi, and the previous version is 18.104.22.168, you cannot login because the old settings are still on the client. Even if you go to the client, and uninstall first, the remote install still cannot be logged into with the simple password from the msi because the old settings are still in the registry. I found that if I delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris, then the remote installation will work properly after that. Perhaps the installer msi should check for that and remove it. I have reproduced this on several computers. I always have to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris for the remote install to work properly.
Could you please build an installer with all the settings that you think you need and send us for testing. We will take a look at this issue.
You can upload the installer on a file sharing service and send us a download link at email@example.com
Unfortunately, the log didn't show any serious errors or something that would explain why this specific Host has issues connecting. If it's possible, could you try to connect this Host to the Internet via another network interface (e.g. Wi Fi or mobile network) and see if the issue persists. This will help isolate the problem and see if it's indeed the network/router to blame or something else.
Unfortunately, this is not the first time Windows Defender marks our software not only as mere riskware, but as a serious threat, like a trojan. This happened in the past. It is all the more strange to see that it's the Viewer that is marked as malware. Viewer cannot "give" remove access by definition, it's a client not a server (as in "client-server" architecture).
We do our best to report false positive detections though.
I had considered setting up my own Remote Utilities relay host to see if that would help, but have just been too busy. It could be a connectivity issue between Utah and where ever the Remote Utilities server is hosted.
Apart from using your self-hosted server please also try the latest beta 22.214.171.124. This from release notes:
The remote screen transfer speed of dynamically changing content (e.g. videos) over slow connections has been increased.
This is not only about slow connections, of course. The very screen capture algorithm in the beta was improved as compared with the current stable version (126.96.36.199).
This has never been an ID problem. It's a network problem, in most cases caused by packet loss in the network itself or at ISP or issues with gateway hardware. There are many possible reasons.
What I recommend though is that you try installing the latest beta version https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/beta.php . In this version we implemented some fixes that can help smooth out small network issues and make the overall performance better.
If you install the Beta, make sure that you do that on both ends, Viewer and Host, not just the Viewer or the Host.
You are correct, it goes back to the prefilled simple password instead of going back to the one time password. It's confusing because the simple password is saved with the address and it doesn't prompt for it initially because of that, but then it goes to it if the one time password is wrong or close to expiration.
Yes, this makes sense. We are currently considering this issue and how to better address it in the next beta.
One more thing I've found: If you remotely update, and include a new password in the msi, and the previous version is 188.8.131.52, you cannot login because the old settings are still on the client.
Sure, we will test that and see how we can fix it. Thanks!