I have successfully created MSI files using the Configurator with the Host installed in the past. I tried today and it failed with a warning dialog that states "Remote Utilities Host was found on this computer. It must be uninstalled.
Please, check if there is a registry entry
. If so, feel free to delete this key restart the Viewer and try configuring again.
By the way, we recommend that you use the Online configurator option over the Legacy option. With the Online configurator option your Host installer will come signed with our digital signature. Besides, this ensures that the input Host file (the vanilla Host fed to the configurator) is the correct file.
We have checked this case with the screensaver starting on the log in screen, but didn't find any anomalies. Here is how we tested:
1. Host - Windows 10. Screensaver enabled with a 1 min interval, and starting on the log in screen.
2. Viewer - Windows XP. "Remove wallpaper" and "Lock workstation on disconnect" options are enabled in connection properties.
3. When connecting to remote Host in Full Control mode, wallpaper is removed. When closing the Full Control mode (without logging off the Host in the Viewer) , the screen is locked. Launching the Full Control mode again - the screensaver is shown. Need to click on the screensaver screen to invoke the log in/unlock screen, then entering into the system - the wallpaper is removed.
4. The same as above only this time not just closing the Full Control mode but also logging off the remote Host. When logging back on again, starting the Full Control mode, going through the screensaver screen and unlocking the machine - the wallpaper is removed.
Could you confirm that you do the same? By the way, what operating system is on the Host and Viewer side? Also, please make sure that you update RU Host and Viewer to the latest version (currently it's 188.8.131.52).
We will do our best to release it as soon as possible. Currently, we are also working on 6.9 update which will provide some significant changes and improvements to the Host authorization system and also introduce a 2-factor authentication.
You are absolutely right. When surfing the web small network disruptions go unnoticed because of the way the web browsers work - they download the content from the web server to your RAM and you in fact are viewing the pages offline until the next server request.
On the contrary, with Remote Utilities you need to keep a stable connection all the time so that keep alive packets can reach their destination. That's why the program is sensitive to the quality of the network connection.
If we can help you with anything else, don't hesitate to send us a message or post on the forum.
Perhaps there was an issue with the Viewer configuration file after the update. Anyway, we will improve the configuration file mechanism in the upcoming 6.9 release so this problem will be no more in the future.
Don't hesitate to send us a message or ask on the forum whenever you need help.
However, if the speed/performance is really so slow as you describe even when you use the self-hosted server, then it's very unusual and the problem can be external. What comes to mind first is antivirus software activity . Is it the same antivirus program that installed on remote Hosts? You may also want to add Viewer installed path to antivirus software exceptions list on the Viewer computer.
If nothing of the above helps, please let me know and we may schedule a remote session to figure this out.
1. Which version is used on both ends (Viewer and Host)? Is it 184.108.40.206? If not, please update and see if it helps resolve the problem.
2. If you have the latest version, but the problem persists, could you tell if this happens with just one Host or many?
From what you described it may seem that there are network connectivity issues either on the Host side or Viewer side. Note that just the fact that there is a broadband and high-speed connection on both sides doesn't necessarily mean that it's stable. Brief network interruptions may still occur and go unnoticed during web surfing or email use but get immediately noticed when Remote Utilities is used.