Perhaps, the server data files (including the address book) were indeed corrupted or deleted by antivirus software for some reason. While this might be strange (they cannot be malware even in theory), yet all too often antivirus software doesn't care much about whether their detections are right or by mistake.
Anyway, you should still have a backup of this book on the Viewer side. So you can restore everything. Here is the suggested process:
1. Make sure that you have the server 2.7 beta installed. 2. Set up a new address book sync just as you did earlier. 3. Locate your address book backup and import the book into the synced book in your Viewer (see Restoring, as the process is the same for synced books as well). This way you will go from bottom up - i.e. you will restore your server book from a backup on the Viewer side.
This should suffice, i.e. the sync process should work then as normal.
Please, make sure that so long as you use Remote Utilities beta that you should also use Server 2.7 beta with it. You can find it on the same beta download page. The current stable server may not be fully compatible with RU beta.
Just wanted to clarify a few terms. The connection name is actually just a descriptive name for the entry in the address book. Whereas the actual value used as a remote computer address (this can be a hostname/DNS, an IP address or Internet-ID) is stored in either the "Direct connection" or "Internet-ID connection" field. I assume that it is one of these fields that you mean when you mention the connection name.
but is there anyway to prompt the host to check the device name and update its entry in the address book.
This problem does not exist if Internet-ID connection is used because the Internet-ID code stays the same on the host regardless of computer name. If you explicitly use direct connection though, there is no way for the Host to communicate back to the Viewer in case its hostname has changed. The Viewer will simply show the Host as offline in its address book.
You can try the following solution - switch to using Internet-ID connection. While this connection type uses an intermediary server the program still tries to find and use direct route between Viewer and Host, if possible. For this to work you should still keep the incoming TCP port 5650 on the Host open though, just as with the regular direct connection.
If you don't want the program to connect to our public ID servers feel free to install and use the self-hosted server, it's free.
It's not exactly incompatibility. As with previous versions you can connect from 126.96.36.199 Viewer to 188.8.131.52 Host and update it if necessary (only now in beta the Simple update doesn't work yet, this is intentional - it will work in the final release).
Besides, there is another consideration - we just wanted to let as many customers as possible to upgrade for free. Given that this version has very important changes, namely new encryption algo and authorization scheme, we need as broad user base as possible to receive more feedback.
I didn't have this problem with the product that rhymes with Beam Screwer.
The Host was Current version: 184.108.40.206 whereas the Viewer was Version 220.127.116.11 Beta 1. As soon as I updated the Host to the most recent Beta version, it has stopped disconnecting me.
Yes, you should avoid version mismatch between Viewer and Host if possible. This is especially true about the latest beta - there have been a lot of improvements and a whole new authorization system implemented in it.
Still, we will see how we can better inform the user about version mismatch right in the program.