Community

Dual monitor problems on host

Links used in this discussion
Jamie Ward, User (Posts: 13)
Jan 31, 2014 7:26:00 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
The ability to select a certain monitor in dual screen setups doesn't always work for whatever reason. I haven't been able to pin it down as of yet. Sometimes clicking the monitor selection button in the toolbar gives you a choice, sometimes it doesn't.

This happens on two of the machines that I control remotely as well as locally (within the LAN).

Any advice to make this function correctly and troubleshoot?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3013)
Jan 31, 2014 11:00:41 am EST
Hello Jamie,

I've created a ticket in our bug tracking system for this issue. I'll ask for more information once I have a reply from our development team

Thanks.  
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3013)
Jan 31, 2014 11:25:58 am EST

Jamie Ward wrote:
The ability to select a certain monitor in dual screen setups doesn't always work for whatever reason. I haven't been able to pin it down as of yet. Sometimes clicking the monitor selection button in the toolbar gives you a choice, sometimes it doesn't.

This happens on two of the machines that I control remotely as well as locally (within the LAN).

Any advice to make this function correctly and troubleshoot?

Hello Jamie,

Couple of questions:

1. Is that behavior seen when you connect via Internet ID only, via an IP address or both?

2. In what time after the connection has been established you try to switch monitors? Immediately or in a certain time passed (say a minute or two)?

Thanks.  
Marc Laferriere, User (Posts: 8)
May 06, 2014 1:48:56 pm EDT
I see this is a few months old, however i find i'm having the same issue.
For myself, it's while using Internet-ID connection. I have not tried a direct IP connection yet, but i will be later today)for other reasons). And i have tried this both right after connecting, and after being connected for awhile. In addition, i have noticed that the secondary monitor will sometimes randomly appear and disappear. Also, it will size it's self on screen like both monitor as being displayed. This has so far only been observed on a windows 8.1 host, although i've only used it on 1 windows 7 PC so far, so not a large base to draw conclusions from.

Viewing computer is Windows 7
May 06, 2014 2:09:53 pm EDT
Just to follow up here to the last post. I've been dealing with this via a support ticket, but the problem is not yet resolved. I have however made my own work around to the issue. Here is an email I sent to support via the ticket system on April 17th:

Dual monitor issue work around:

If the host pc is at the Windows 7 login screen, RUT will not allow me to select a monitor to view. It shows both. In order for RUT to detect both monitors and allow the user to select which monitor to view, the user must:

1. Via the RUT Client Viewer, enter Client password. Screen now shows both monitors of the Host with no way to select just one.
2. Login to Windows 7. Screen still shows both Host monitors with no way to select just one.
3. Close RUT Client window by hitting the ‘X’ in the view control bar at the top of the screen.
4. Via the Client Viewer, double click the Host again. Now the main, single monitor is full screen and you can select which monitor to view. If the main, single monitor isn’t full screen immediately, the user is a least allowed to select which monitor to view.

I’ve confirmed this with multiple hosts using the same client.

So, in short there is a bug with RUT. Perhaps it is on the host side. Perhaps it lies on the client side. Since I have only one client viewer installed, I’ve not been able to test that. I’ll leave that up to you.
Anton Kalugin, User (Posts: 209)
May 06, 2014 2:14:45 pm EDT
Hello, Jamie.

Could I ask you, do you have an image on your second monitor while you are at the login screen?
May 06, 2014 2:15:13 pm EDT
Thanks Jamie, i have noticed closing the viewer window and reopening does sometimes fix the issue, however always nice to have a solution rather than a workaround. I'll keep watching this topic, see if anything else comes of it
Anton Kalugin, User (Posts: 209)
May 06, 2014 2:20:17 pm EDT
Hello, Mark.

Thank you for your message.

Could you please explain, what do you mean by "randomly appear and disappear"? It does not have an image anymore? And how it appears back?
May 06, 2014 2:28:57 pm EDT

Anton Kalugin wrote:
Hello, Mark.

Thank you for your message.

Could you please explain, what do you mean by "randomly appear and disappear"? It does not have an image anymore? And how it appears back?

The image sizes as if both monitors are being viewed, however the secondary monitor is just black, and i can't slide the screen over to it. If i use the stretch view, it does the same. However, every now and then, the image from the second monitor would show up for a few seconds, then go black again. I can pull some screenshots later, if that would assist you.

It should be noted i had SERIOUS performance issues on both windows 8 PC's i've connected to, that i didn't have on the windows 7 PC. I'm working on trying to resolve them, but perhaps they are contributing to the issue.
May 06, 2014 2:29:18 pm EDT
Anton,

I don't have any unused hosts that I could check right at the moment. I will do this before work hours tomorrow and report back.

Also, to touch on Marc's comment about the "randomly appear and disappear", I've noticed that the host "forgets" that there are two monitors and will at times show both monitors again after having shown only the main monitor for a while. I've noticed this when I've been installing Windows updates. So if I had to guess, Windows was updating some drivers, probably video drivers, and this is when the host gets all twitchy and can't decide if it's going to you the main monitor or both monitors.

Marc,

I've found that closing and reopening the viewer *always* fixes the problem. Not just sometimes. Unless I'm installing Windows updates as mentioned above. Then all bets are off.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)