I apologize if my previous reply was somewhat misleading/insufficient. I will forward this once again to our developers and will ask for their input on this issue. It seems that the address book location might be the main reason causing the issue, however, since the issue can be reproduced when using Portable Viewer as well, you can send us the address book file itself for the examination (you can edit out any sensitive information before export it though). Here's a guide on how you can manually export an address book. You can then send the address book file to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will forward it to our development department as well.
Unfortunately it is going to take too long to redact the information from the xml, so I do not feel comfortable sending this to you. It also appears that as you mentioned the All connections section holds the connections anyway, I have exported the General address book and imported it into another named book. It simply showed duplicates in the All connections section and shows nothing in the newly imported book and nothing in General address book.
Unfortunately it is going to take too long to redact the information from the xml, so I do not feel comfortable sending this to you.
Of course, we understand this, no problems. In this case, I'll forward to our developers the information you've already provided and will ask them to look into this to see if it's possible, perhaps, to reproduce the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.
I'll get back to you with an update from our development department shortly.
I've checked on the issue with our developers - it seems that the issue with the address books is caused by the Access Rights settings on this machine. Could you please try the following: 1. Download Portable Viewer from our main download page. 2. Unzip it to some specific folder, then open the folder's Properties and navigate to the Security tab. 3. Allow Read and Write access permissions for all users and click OK. 4. Run Portable Viewer and see if the issue with the address books still persists.
Please let me know if the above solution worked for you.
I have tried the adjusted permissions and I still cannot drag and drop into a folder in the General address book. Also in advance, I am not going to be changing permissions on the installed version. I suspect it is possibly to do with your UI.
I'll forward the update to our developers once again and will ask for their input on this. However, according to our developers, the issue is rather caused by the Access permission settings, rather than by our UI, especially since we haven't received any other reports about similar issues.
I'll get back to you with a reply on this from our development department shortly.
I've checked on the address book issue with our developers once again and they've confirmed that it's caused by some specific Access rights permissions or some folder redirection policies. Please note that Remote Utilities is meant to be used mainly on Windows OSs with default configurations. Unfortunately, according to our Support Policy, we cannot assist in resolving system administration issues. Therefore, in order to resolve this issue, please try referring to your system administrator. I apologize for the inconvenience.
I understand your policy, as permissions can be a daunting task for system administration and I am not enquiring about support for system administration, although your software is, to my understanding, technically supposed to assist/complement system administrators with system administration. I am concerned that your software does not offer any immediately-apparent logging so as to identify such problems and bugs. Your software is quite good in its current form, however if there is an ongoing subscription, support is typically expected. I understand I am not a paying customer, yet. I have provided the user permissions set as requested and in reference to the Remote Utilities Portable version of software, it has full access permissions. So I don't understand where you/the developers are claiming further Access Rights permissions issues specifically? I also have administrator permissions for the PC in any case too.
One main question in this case would be, upon installation of your software, what are the permissions required for the system to function as per the default configuration? Can you point me to the documentation that specifies this please? If the .MSI is to be deployed via Active Directory, I would think that the permissions would need to be configured before deployment?
I've checked with our developers on your questions and they've provided me with the following information: the access permissions for the folder should be the same as for the user who runs Viewer, i.e. this user should have permissions for writing to the folder set to "Allow". In addition, the Viewer should be located on a local directory instead of a shared folder or UNC path. As for your questions regarding the AD please refer to the following Documentation pages: This one regarding the MSI packages. And this one regarding the AD policies.
As for the logging - Remote Utilities provides installation and connection log files. For more information on logging provided by Remote Utilities please see this page.
Your software is quite good in its current form, however if there is an ongoing subscription, support is typically expected. I understand I am not a paying customer, yet.
Thank you for your kind words. Please note, that Remote Utilities do not have any types of subscription - our technical support is free of charge and is available for all users, including those who use Free license. However, please also note that Remote Utilities is provided on "as is" basis, therefore, I understand your situation and I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, but unfortunately, we cannot assist with system administration issues. Our full Support Policy is available here. Sorry for the inconvenience once again.