Community

WIndows Version: All computers showing OFFLINE however are all still accessible.

Links used in this discussion
Mark Wright, User (Posts: 4)
Mar 16, 2017 12:00:48 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I have been using Remote Utitilies successfully for over 6 months now.

Just recently, all of my Computer Connections show OFFLINE in the Viewer.

However, each computer is still accessible.  I can double click each OFFLINE connection and the computer is connected successfully.

From a functionality standpoint, the remote connections work however they all say OFFLINE.

Does anyone know perhaps what may be causing this?

Thanks!

Mark
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3013)
Mar 16, 2017 1:02:39 pm EDT
Hello Mark,

Thank you for your message. A few questions:

1. What is the version used at both ends? That is Viewer and Host.

2. What is the connection type in use? Is it direct (e.g. LAN) or Internet-ID?
Mar 16, 2017 1:09:51 pm EDT
Mark, there was also a duplicate topic which I removed.
Mar 16, 2017 2:01:55 pm EDT
Thank you for your quick reply.

Here are your answers:

Viewer Version: 6.5.0.8
Host Version: 6.5.0.8

The connection type is Internet-ID
Martin Eichelman, User (Posts: 14)
Mar 16, 2017 5:42:03 pm EDT
+1.  Same thing started 3 to 4 days ago best I can tell.  No way to distinguish between those that are truly offline and not.  Installed Viewer and portable Viewer are current (6.5.0.8).  Hosts are a mix of 6.5.0.5 and 6.5.0.8.  Nearly all show the same, offline.  Out of a couple hundred Host installations, I have about 4 that show as online.  Yet I'm still able to connect to the offline hosts (I happen to know they are online).
Mar 16, 2017 5:48:41 pm EDT
Hello Martin,

We are currently examining our recent public server updates to see if there was any code that could cause this.

I can definitely say that it's unlikely to be an issue with the clients' side (i.e. Viewers and Hosts). So no need to re-install your apps.

We will do our best to get to the root of the problem as soon as possible. Thank you!
Mar 17, 2017 3:29:55 am EDT
We adjusted some settings. Please, let me know if the problem persists.

Thanks.
Mar 17, 2017 9:55:00 am EDT
Hi Conrad,

We tested on our end and the Connection types are still all saying OFFLINE.

The Connections do in fact work no problem.

Let me know if you need any tests done on our end.
John Wilson, User (Posts: 7)
Mar 17, 2017 10:59:21 am EDT
Conrad, Same problem here.  Started several days ago.  Just wanted to add a little info to see if it helps.  We have set up our own RU Self-hosted server and are testing it for one of our sites and that one site is showing Online / Offline correctly.  Only my sites running on your default, public servers have the problem.

John
Mar 17, 2017 11:27:40 am EDT
Ok, here is how to test it and help us diagnose:

1. Download this pre-release Viewer build. Download the latest version.
2. Fully close the Viewer (File -> Exit).
3. Unpack the downloaded zip file and replace the original files (C:\Program Files\Remote Utilities - Viewer) with the ones from the archive. Note: this won't affect your address book because it is stored elsewhere (originally in the %APP DATA% folder).
4. Run the Viewer. Make sure your address book is there.
5. Enable Viewer logging: click Tools tab -> Options -> Event log tab -> and check Use event log.
6. Enable the log panel in the Viewer interface: navigate to the View tab and toggle Show event log.
7. Exit the Viewer.
8. Run the Viewer again and wait for about 1 minute.
9. Check the log for errors that start with "CheckID Connection ...". If there are any, copy and send us the log.

To keep this thread easily scannable by readers please don't post the logs right here. Just send them to support@remote-utilities.com .

Bonus: also test how the new instant search feature works in the Viewer and let us know your feedback :)

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)