Remote Utilities 6.9 Beta is available for download. (X) Dismiss

Community

session logs

Page:

Claudiu Radu, User (Posts: 1)

Jan 02, 2015 12:49:29 pm EST

Is there a way to keep a log of the remote connection sessions, including start time, end time, connection type...

Conrad Sallian, Administrator (Posts: 1976)

Jan 02, 2015 5:01:57 pm EST

Hello Claudiu,

You can find the Host log in the C:\Program Files\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs folder. Currently the log contains basic information like from where a connection was initiated (IP address) and what connection mode was used as well as information about errors if any.

We are planning to make the log more informative in future versions though.

Like Remote Utilities? Write a review

Angus Scott-Fleming, User (Posts: 11)

Jun 12, 2015 8:19:54 pm EDT

Conrad Sallian wrote:
You can find the Host log in the C:\Program Files\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs folder. Currently the log contains basic information like from where a connection was initiated (IP address) and what connection mode was used as well as information about errors if any.

We are planning to make the log more informative in future versions though.

It would be a Good Thing if at the VIEWER end there was an exportable log of all viewer sessions.  This would be very useful for billing support events, for example, or for documenting how much remote support a given user or computer required over time.

It would also be a Good Thing if the viewer could import a remote host's logfile into its log.

Conrad Sallian, Administrator (Posts: 1976)

Jun 13, 2015 2:59:51 pm EDT

Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:

It would be a Good Thing if at the VIEWER end there was an exportable log of all viewer sessions.  This would be very useful for billing support events, for example, or for documenting how much remote support a given user or computer required over time.

A full-fledged reporting system is on our roadmap. No ETA as of yet, unfortunately.

Like Remote Utilities? Write a review

Carlos Thomas, User (Posts: 11)

Jun 01, 2018 4:52:04 am EDT

Support level: Starter
Hi there. Seeing that this is in the pipeline and wondering if there's any update on this so far? Having the logs for each outgoing connection - and the possibility to attach notes - would be great for billing purposes.

Conrad, Administrator (Posts: 1976)

Jun 01, 2018 9:39:05 am EDT

Hello Carlos,

Adding a separate "auditing" mode/functionality is in our plans. Unfortunately, no specific ETA yet.

Like Remote Utilities? Write a review

Chas Large, User (Posts: 11)

Jun 20, 2018 10:01:07 am EDT

Hi Log is great as is but can I ask if the log is working correctly? On my session logs it shows local IP's like 192.168.1.75 and host IP's like 127.0.0.1 but no external IP's Is that correct?

Am running this on a Windows 7 Virtual PC sitting on a Windows 10 box but with external access through a separate NIC.

Screen clip attached.

Thanks
Chas
Attached Files

Conrad, Administrator (Posts: 1976)

Jun 20, 2018 10:44:57 am EDT

Hi Chas,

Thank you for your post.

That depends on what connection type you use - Internet-ID or direct connection - and also whether Viewer and Host share the same network (and subnet) or located in different networks.

Like Remote Utilities? Write a review

Chas Large, User (Posts: 11)

Jun 20, 2018 10:55:28 am EDT

Conrad wrote:

Hi Chas,

Thank you for your post.

That depends on what connection type you use -  Internet-ID  or  direct connection  - and also whether Viewer and Host share the same network (and subnet) or located in different networks.

Hi Conrad,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The system uses both. For my login, it's local IP address but for others its Internet-ID using the standard RU server.

The local is of course the same LAN subnet but the remote just a web ID.

The idea being for me to see who logs in and does what. Without their ID / IP I have no idea.

Chas

Conrad, Administrator (Posts: 1976)

Jun 21, 2018 2:59:04 am EDT

Hello Chas,

The idea being for me to see who logs in and does what. Without their ID / IP I have no idea.

I understand. In the future we are going to do the following:

- Make the ID server to transfer the IP address of the Viewer to the Host log. Now you cannot see the Viewer IP address because it stays on the server side and is effectively hidden from the Host.

- Implement a full-fledged reporting/auditing system that would allow the admin to check who accessed what and in which connection mode.

Thanks.

Like Remote Utilities? Write a review
Page:

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.