Community

connecting to online host, host goes offline until you stop connecting

Links used in this discussion
Anthony Pidden, User (Posts: 12)
Mar 10, 2022 11:34:59 am EST
Using viewer 7.1.2.0, host 7.1.2.0 and ru-server 3.2.1.0

ru-server is hosted in a DC, viewer and host are on different business-grade connections

My problem is as follows:
  • Host shows as online
  • Attempt to connect (any action, doesn't matter)
  • Instantly get 'Unable to connect. Attempts left: ' dialog. Host now shows as offline
  • When dialog times out after 5 attempts, host will show as online again after a short interval

Here is a short screen-cap demonstrating the issue:
connecting to online host, host goes offline until you stop connecting - 10 Mar 2022 11:30:03

A temporary solution appears to be to restart the ru-server, but this doesn't always last very long. The issue varies in how frequently it presents.

I suspect something happens with the firewall in front of the ru-server that the ru-server/hosts don't recover from or the lack of IPv6 on the ru-server (most of the hosts are dual-stack with IPv6 connectivity but the ru-server is not currently configured with an IPv6 address)

This is quite problematic for us as not all operators have access to restart the ru-server (not to mention it is very frustrating when it does it multiple times in longer support sessions).

Any help greatly received.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Mar 10, 2022 3:57:30 pm EST
Hello Anthony,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please let us know if you have any antivirus/firewall software installed on your Server, Host or Viewer machines (i.e. except for the firewall at the Server's perimeter)? If this is the case, then the issue might be caused by the firewall/antivirus software activity. Please try adding Remote Utilities installation folders to the exception list as described here and see if this helps to resolve the issue.

In case if adding RU installation folders to the exceptions didn't help and the issue persists, please feel free to send us the log files for examination. Here's how you can locate Host logs, RU Server logs and Viewer logs as well. You can send the log files to suport@remoteutilities.com.

Hope that helps.
Anthony Pidden, User (Posts: 12)
Mar 10, 2022 4:10:44 pm EST
Hey Pauline,

No AV on the server.
Viewer has been used on machines with Kaspersky AV and also a machine with just Windows Defender (i.e. nothing), same results.
Host machines both with KAV and without exhibit the problem as described.

I think that pretty much rules out AV.

Aside from the firewall appliance in front of the RU server, no software firewalls are used.

I'll see if I can get some logs from the ru-server and viewer.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Mar 11, 2022 9:48:34 am EST
Hello Anthony,

Thank you for the clarification.

Yes, in this case it would be very helpful if you could provide us the log files for the examination, including the Host logs as well. Please feel free to send the logs to support@remoteutilities.com or you can also open a ticket in the Ticket System and submit the logs there.
In addition, you can also check the solutions listed in this troubleshooting guide and see if some of them might help to resolve the issue.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)