Hi, after the last round of (VERY) failed updates which resulted in odd installs and upgrades just failing resulting in nothing installed, i am resisting upgrading to this version without full testing.
I have upgraded the onsite server and viewer. I have just installed a new host on a new Windows 7 64bit PC, it installs ok, can be seen by the viewer, however after restarting the windows 7 PC the service (Remote Utilities - Host) never starts, tying to start it manually gets the error "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"
It was set to Auto and didnt start, trying to manually start it results in the above. This was happening to both this version (6.10.5) and v6.10.3), so whats going on here?
I have another service in the field that i bet will do the same once its restarted, how is this debugged?
UPDATE I have also selected another host (v6.10.3 i believe) then selected "Simple Update" which resulted in it removing the Remote Utitlies - Host from the services and that was it, so its "update" was to just remove the service then finish. We left it for 30 mins before restarting the PC, it had removed the service in about 1 min, thn did nothing after that).
We removed the software through Add/Remove, restarted then re-installed the client again.... not graceful at all.
This happened in the past round of updates, so it appears the updating system is broken, how do you suggest we update working hosts to result in a working host after?
The last time i did this, i lost 10 hours of work and about 300 miles of driving to visit clients to re-install the software manually (i cant bill the client for any of that time)..
Edited:Ashley Griffin - Feb 17, 2019 8:54:17 pm EST
Microsoft Security Essentials on the Windows 7 PC's and Symantec on the servers. The antivirus has been the same, this was not an issue when i started to use this software about 2 years ago... so what changed in the software?
While the antivirus software can be the same, it evolves just like any other software (engine updates) with threat definition databases updated on a regular basis. Currently, Remote Utilities is clean across all antivirus programs (according to VirusTotal reports) so this may not necessarily be the cause, but whenever there is an issue with the Host service not working properly antivirus/security software should be checked first. Besides, you mentioned problems not only with remote update but also with clean Host installation. It looks like the same factor in both cases affects how the Host service starts (or rather does not start in this case).
As always, before we can tell what might possibly be going on, we need to look at the logs. These are the following logs: