Community

finding computers in address book prior to remote installation

Links used in this discussion
wayne shelly, User (Posts: 3)
Mar 14, 2017 6:31:20 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I'm probably missing something, but I've read the documentation and other posts in this forum but I still don't see how to remotely install RU. In the "Remote Install Tool" section it describes how to do this, but you must first locate the computers in the Address Book on which you want to install the RU host. I don't know how you can select these computers since they are not listed in the address book yet since RU has not yet been installed. (I do understand how this would work if you are doing an upgrade of RU since the computers would already be listed there.) Again, I must be missing something here. Perhaps there is a way in the Viewer app to scan the LAN looking for local IP addresses? Perhaps this is a limitation only in the Free version that I am using? Thanks in advance to anyone who might offer help.
wdshelly, User (Posts: 3)
Mar 14, 2017 8:55:07 pm EDT
I haven't had a chance to do a remote install yet, but I may have found the answer to my own question. I'm thinking that I just need to click the "Add connection" button and add a connection using the IP address and then I'll have a connection on which I can perform a remote install. This might be just a semantic issue, as to me, a "connection" is something you don't have until RU is installed on the host, but it looks like you have to create a placeholder for the connection you are going to set up until you actually deploy RU. If there is a better way or a way to scan the LAN for IPs built into the Viewer, please let me know.
wdshelly, User (Posts: 3)
Mar 14, 2017 11:36:47 pm EDT
...I also found a "Scan for RU hosts" that let's you add computers to the list even if RU isn't yet installed, so that helps...
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3013)
Mar 15, 2017 5:18:45 am EDT
Hello Wayne,

Thank you for your post.

To "push" the software onto a remote computer where it hasn't been installed previously some conditions must be met:

- It must be directly accessible to you via an IP address or hostname.
- Admin share (admin$) must be enabled on the remote PC
- You must have local administrator rights on the remote PC to be able to push-install the Host

See Connection Type section on this page.

haven't had a chance to do a remote install yet, but I may have found the answer to my own question. I'm thinking that I just need to click the "Add connection" button and add a connection using the IP address and then I'll have a connection on which I can perform a remote install.

Yes, you need to create a placeholder - an record in your address book on which to perform your action.

This might be just a semantic issue

Another word or rather expression could be a "saved session".

...I also found a "Scan for RU hosts" that let's you add computers to the list even if RU isn't yet installed, so that helps...

Yes, the scanner also shows where you already have the Hosts installed and where you haven't.

Thanks.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)