Community

Host service doesn't restart after Simple Update

Links used in this discussion
Dax Liniere, User (Posts: 17)
Jan 14, 2022 1:17:15 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Viewer: 7.1.1.0
Host: (whichever version just came out)

After using Simple Update to update the host software on a remote machine, the host service doesn't restart automatically. This means you lose control of a remote system if you update.

All the best,
Dax.
Jan 14, 2022 1:40:06 pm EST
Aha! I think I found another bug that's caused this bug.

I went to open Viewer on a machine after a reboot after having just updated it. The shortcut didn't work and when I looked at where it was pointing, my installation directory was completely blank.

I did a search for rutview.exe and found it had been installed into the default location, not the original location I had specified at time of original installation. I'm sure I changed the default directory of the host software as well, so it's very likely that is the cause for it to not restart automatically after an update.

Can you please make sure future updates look at original install path? I think the only way I'll solve this now is to uninstall, download the packages from your site and reinstall those, specifying the desired install directory.

Let me know if you need any more information.

All the best,
Dax.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Jan 14, 2022 3:43:04 pm EST
Hello Dax,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue - when updating Host installed in a custom directory, everything works as expected, including the Host service's restart. Perhaps, something else might have caused the issue. Could you please provide us with the following information in order to further troubleshoot the issue:
1. Windows System Events Log.
2. Host settings registry key.
3. Host log files.
4. Host installation log. You can find it in the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Remote Utilities\install.log.
You can send the files to support@remoteutilities.com.

I did a search for rutview.exe and found it had been installed into the default location, not the original location I had specified at time of original installation.

I will make sure to forward this to our developers and ask them to take a look at the issue, so that we can fix it in the upcoming updates. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Looking forward to your reply.
Jan 15, 2022 7:43:22 am EST
Hi Pauline,
Thanks for your reply.

May I ask you to uninstall either the host or client on one of your Windows test PCs, then reinstall any previous version, changing the installation directory, please? Then run the latest installer and you will see that it ignores the custom install directory and simply installs to its own default dir.
Jan 17, 2022 3:56:58 pm EST
Hello Dax,

I've additionally checked on this with our developers and they have let me know that the installation/updating process is not attached to some specific installation directory (i.e. the default one) - this issue might be caused, for example, by some Windows Defender activity. In addition, please note that starting Windows 8, it's recommended to install software  to the "Program Files" directory since this is considered to be a special directory that allows some actions that might be blocked in other folders by the system.

Please make sure that your installation folder is located within the Program Files directory and then try updating to the latest version 7.1.2.0 which is available for download on this page or via the self-update feature and see if the issue with the custom installation directory persists.

Hope that helps.
Jan 17, 2022 5:54:10 pm EST
Hi Pauline,
I organise my installed programs into categories. For example, RU client is installed to C:\Program Files\UTILS\Remote Utilities - Client\
I've been a Windows user for almost 30 years so, generally, I know my stuff. ;)

If you could please ask the devs to recheck this, I would be grateful. I suspect that the installers need to be modified to respect the current install directory path, not just to expect it be the default.

Best regards,
Dax.
Jan 18, 2022 10:51:13 am EST
Hello Dax,

Of course, I will forward this to our developers once again and will ask for their input on this issue.

I'll get back to you shortly with an update on this.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)