Community

Service set to "auto", but won't ever auto-start on reboot

Links used in this discussion
Alan Welsh, User (Posts: 5)
Feb 17, 2020 12:45:17 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
I seem to have trouble every time I try to set up a PC.  For some reason, I have to connect to it using past methods like TightVNC first, and then use RU AFTER I manually start the service.  When I go to host config after reboot, it is always set to AUTO and is installed, but the service always shows that it is stopped.  What am I missing??   (Also, it would be nice if it's possible, to start the service from this screen / tab, rather than going back to the start menu to run another program, just to start the service.)
V Host 6. 10. 10. 0.  (69110)

While I'm here, I'd like to make a few requests, (or find out what I'm missing).
  • Is there a way to close a window easily?  If I have two PCs showing, it is much harder, since I don't know how to close one PC's session and leave the other window open.
  • How can I just choose to refresh a window, vs close it.  Seems like, if the connection is interrupted, it is still showing but inactive, and there's no way to refresh it, without first closing that window
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3013)
Feb 17, 2020 3:55:48 am EST
Hello Alan,

Thank you for your message.

Regarding the host service not starting, please check this KB article https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/kb/host-service-won-t-start/ .

Is there a way to close a window easily? If I have two PCs showing, it is much harder, since I don't know how to close one PC's session and leave the other window open.

If you simultaneously open two remote sessions they are shown in tabs, like in a web browser. If you need to close one session you should close the tab Instead of closing the  entire Full Control window. That said, you can also "detach" the tabs and view the sessions in stand-alone windows. To switch to that mode disable "tabbed view" in Viewer options:

Service set to "auto", but won't ever auto-start on reboot - 17 Feb 2020 03:53:16

How can I just choose to refresh a window, vs close it. Seems like, if the connection is interrupted, it is still showing but inactive, and there's no way to refresh it, without first closing that window

The program attempts to reconnect anyway, there is no need to refresh the window. You can also try enabling/disabling the Pause command - it is available in the context menu when you right click on the tab header.

Hope that helps.
Alan Welsh, User (Posts: 5)
Jun 30, 2020 5:25:40 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
For some reason now, my 10 license is NOT showing anymore, nor can I paste it into the field, and is says "invalid key".  It is now set for a 31 day day eval.  
-- Yesterday it was fine without any problems.  I only have four PCs that I HAVE connect to at one time or another (but only use 3?? ).  One is my main PC [running your "client"] that is what I generally only use to connect to the other three PCs.

I HAVE the key, but need to "reapply it" I guess.  RU appears like this lost it's settings.  The 3 client PC are all still showing up, but now no licence :( is showing, NOR can I apply it.

I thought I saw some posts out here once of how to fix the XML files, but can't find the posts.

--- The one remote W-7 PC will not remember the PC no matter what I do.  Every time I connect, I must reissue the PW.  --- Also, This W-7  PC is also always showing that the "client" is not current and needs an update. (Really, the "server" in your terms).  However, AFTER I connect, it is showing that it IS the latest version... This is repeated often, and somehow forgets that it has the latest version.

FYI --- One PC on my LAN I wrote about earlier -->>  I've still got that one PC that won't start the service about half the time for some reason after a cold reboot.  I've reinstalled without avail.  Still, not urgent since I can first connect via VNC when local.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Jul 02, 2020 12:25:14 pm EDT
Hello Alan,

Thank you for your message.

I HAVE the key, but need to "reapply it" I guess. RU appears like this lost it's settings. The 3 client PC are all still showing up, but now no licence :( is showing, NOR can I apply it.
I thought I saw some posts out here once of how to fix the XML files, but can't find the posts.

Perhaps, the Viewer configuration file was somehow corrupted by some antivirus or firewall software.
Please, try the following:
1. Fully exit the Viewer File -> Exit.
2. Locate the file config_4.xml in the C:\Users\[Your_username]\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\ folder.
Please note that the AppData folder might be hidden by default in which case you need to enable "Hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer settings.
3. Remove the config_4.xml file from that folder.
This will reset the Viewer settings. Your address books won't be affected by this action.
4. Run the Viewer and try registering it with your license key again.

--- The one remote W-7 PC will not remember the PC no matter what I do. Every time I connect, I must reissue the PW.

Could you please clarify if you have the Save password feature enabled in the Connection properties on the Security tab? If no, then please try enabling the feature and see if this helps to resolve the issue.
In case, if the password for this remote Host machine was already saved in your Viewer, then the issue might be occurring in case if the address book's file was somehow corrupted. Please try the following:
1. Locate the connections_4.xml file in the C:\Users\[Your_username]\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\ folder and copy it to a different location. Alternatively, you can also manually export any address book by selecting the address book in the left pane, then clicking Manage ➝ Manual export on the Viewer's ribbon toolbar:
Service set to "auto", but won't ever auto-start on reboot - 02 Jul 2020 12:03:24
2. After exporting the address book, please erase the contents of the C:\Users\[Your_username]\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\ folder.
3. Manually import the address book as described in this step-by-step guide and see if it helps to resolve the issue.

FYI --- One PC on my LAN I wrote about earlier -->> I've still got that one PC that won't start the service about half the time for some reason after a cold reboot. I've reinstalled without avail. Still, not urgent since I can first connect via VNC when local.

Could you please clarify if the remote Host machine is running on Windows 8/10 OS? If this is the case, could you please double-check if you have the Turn on fast startup feature disabled as described in this troubleshooting guide?
In addition, please make sure that the Host installation folder is added to the antivirus/firewall software exception list. For more information please see this page.
Finally, if the solutions above did not help, please try to completely uninstall Host, including erasing all the Host settings as described in this uninstallation tutorial. Then restart the remote Host machine and re-install the Host again.

Please let us know if the solutions above did not help and issues persist.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)