Community

Increase resolution when remote computer has no graphics card?

Links used in this discussion
Peter Hucker, User (Posts: 23)
Nov 17, 2022 7:02:52 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
I have a remote machine with no graphics card.  When I remote into it, it's in a horrid resolution (about 640*480?) which prevents most stuff from working properly (including the scroll bar in display settings, so I can't change the resolution!)

Is there a way to raise it to something more sensible?  I have a 1080p monitor on this end, and both machines are running Windows 11.

I asked this before, but we've changed from version 6 to 7 now, I was hoping this had been fixed.
Nov 17, 2022 7:06:37 am EST
Replying, since I can't find the edit button for my previous post.

Remote Desktop (the built in Windows one) works fine, but it pauses GPU computing, which is the sole reason I use Remote Utilities instead.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Nov 17, 2022 12:32:35 pm EST
Hello Peter,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, Remote Utilities has nothing to do with resolution support, as this is the ability of your monitor and graphics card and Remote Utilities only streams the captured image from the remote Host's screen. We do plan to implement a feature that will allow adjusting the remote screen resolution from within the Viewer in our future updates. However, there's no specific ETA on this feature yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope that helps.
Nov 17, 2022 1:43:12 pm EST
Will that adjustment you plan to add allow me to change the resolution of a machine with no monitor that Windows has stupidly decided should be at a crippling 640*480?

I do have a workaround.  If no graphics card, Windows Remote Desktop can be used instead (although I'd prefer the same for all machines), as there's no GPU for it to stop from calculating science projects.  If it has a graphics card, a dummy monitor (a little dongle for a fiver from Ebay) can be plugged in to make windows think there's a 4K monitor there.

This is all Microsoft's fault.
Nov 17, 2022 4:26:11 pm EST
Hello Peter,

Will that adjustment you plan to add allow me to change the resolution of a machine with no monitor that Windows has stupidly decided should be at a crippling 640*480?

Unfortunately, I’m not involved with the development process, so I’m not sure how exactly the feature will be functioning until it’s implemented. Hopefully, it will be possible, but it’s still worth it to take into consideration the graphics card limitations. Sorry if this makes our software less useful for you.
Perhaps we will be able to add some sort of scaling for smaller monitor resolutions just like we did for the 4k monitors.

Hope that helps.
Nov 17, 2022 4:47:22 pm EST
Scaling wouldn't help here, I'd need the resolution increased from the host's point of view.  My problem is the low resolution breaks Windows 11 completely.  If I open any of the system settings, the scroll bar is non-functional and/or all the elements overlap each other.  I guess Windows didn't expect a computer with no graphics card and a remote desktop program which wasn't their own.
Nov 17, 2022 6:55:51 pm EST
Hello Peter,

Usually in cases with headless Host machines we recommend to enable Legacy capture mode since it helps to resolve any display-related issues. However, if there are any resolution-related restrictions from your graphics card, then, of course, the best way to resolve it would be on the graphics card side itself. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Let us know if you have more questions.
Nov 18, 2022 1:16:29 pm EST
It's already on legacy capture mode.  The host has no graphics card at all.  I get 640x480 connecting with Remote Utilities.
D L, User (Posts: 12)
Nov 18, 2022 4:11:41 pm EST
Support level: Starter
regedit
cmd
powershell
https://12noon.com/?page_id=641

good luck
Nov 18, 2022 4:36:17 pm EST
Not sure what you meant by
regedit
cmd
powershell
What do I do with those?  (I do know what they are but you gave no details)

As for the program you linked to, can't work out how to set it up.  All I want to do is give it say 1920*1080 resolution.  What would the xml file for that be?

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)