"Access violation" error in the Viewer
When opening Viewer, adding a new record in the address book, or starting a remote session—an "Access Violation..." error appears.
Solution 1: Fix damaged Viewer config file
The issue may be caused by a damaged Viewer configuration file which is found in the
%APPDATA%\Remote Utilities Files\ folder.
Do the following:
- In Viewer click File→Exit to fully exit the program.
C:\Users\[Your_username]\AppData\Roaming\Remote Utilities Files\folder. Note that the AppData folder may be hidden by default in which case you'll need to enable "Hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer settings.
- Locate the file
config_4.xmland delete it.
- Run Viewer and register it again with your license key. See Register Remote Utilities.
Solution 2: Re-install and whitelist Viewer
The issue may be caused by antivirus software activity or damaged Viewer program files. Do the following:
- Add the Viewer installation folder (by default it's
C:\Program Files\Remote Utilities - Viewer\) to your antivirus software exceptions list.
- Completely uninstall Viewer.
- Restart the PC.
- Download and install the latest version of Viewer.
- Restore your address books from a backup.
If you are still getting the "Access violation" error, please contact our technical support.