Community

RU only views when using Internet Explorer on host machine

Tom Mayne, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 02, 2014 7:19:01 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi All

First let me say that I am loving Remote Utilities having switched to using it instead of LogMeIn,

I have come across an strange connection issue on a couple of the PCs I remote into.

I am running GMS locally and can connect to the machines both internally and externally over the internet using the viewer. Can Full control the remote host without issue.

I have found though that when I open Internet Explorer on the remote host that I suddenly loose full control and seem to be in a view only mode. If I remote in via another platform and then close IE then RU allows full control again.

I can open Chrome fine on the remote host without loosing control. It is just the IE is better to access some of the older hardware on the network at times.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3013)
Feb 02, 2014 7:30:02 pm EST
Hello Tom,

Thank you for the kind words!

Indeed, this is the first time we have been reported such an issue. A couple of questions:

1. Can you switch back to Full Control mode in the same window, without closing it? There is a toggle icon on the toolbar at the top in the Full Control mode (the first icon).

2. What is the operating system on both ends?  
Tom Mayne, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 16, 2014 5:28:21 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi Conrad

Sorry for the slow reply, been a bit busy lately.

I did some more diagnostics and it looks like the issue was being caused by a plugin in IE.

To answer your questions.

1. RU was already in Full Control mode and switching out and then back into Full control didn't fix the issue.
2. The Host machine is WIn7 x64. Tried remoting in from a Win 7 x64 and a Win 8.1 x64 machine with the same issue occuring.

We have a cctv camera system with a DVR that allows logging into the DVR via a web interface. The web interface uses a plugin that only seems to work with IE.

If IE was open on the host machine with the DVR web interface open then the Full control would cease to work. Close the interface web page and full control would return. Tried this on two host machines with the same effect. Open the DVR interface and full control would again cease.

Strange, but we have the work around now.

Thanks  
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3013)
Feb 17, 2014 1:43:17 am EST
Hello Tom,

That's valuable information. What was the name of the plugin? We'd like to test this issue here to possibly find how to resolve it.  

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)