Community

Will RU Server be faster in this scenario?

Links used in this discussion
Mike MacSween, User (Posts: 4)
Sep 21, 2017 9:55:23 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I connect to only one other computer, which is about 15 miles away. I'm in the UK, northern England. My broadband speeds are about 60Mb/s download, and the other computer gets about 6Mb/s (though that should improve).

I connect using RU Internet-ID.

If I install RU Server here, will the speed improve?

Thanks.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3013)
Sep 22, 2017 8:17:20 am EDT
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your post.

Generally, yes. Although we do have servers in England, using your own server can make a remote connection faster. This is because network packets will travel a much shorter route, especially if the server is located closer to one end of the remote connection, usually the Viewer.

This guide will help you set up RU Server as a relay server.
Sep 22, 2017 8:20:48 am EDT
Hi Conrad

Thank you for the reply. I might have another couple of questions, but I'll read the guide first, so I'm not asking RTFM type questions.
Sep 22, 2017 8:50:48 am EDT
Hi Conrad

My usage scenario is this:

I'm using Remote Utilities on a MacBook, running in a Windows Virtual Machine.

I could, theoretically, run RU server in another VM on the same MacBook, yes? I have a Windows 2012 Server VM set up already.

At my home office I have complete control over routers and so on. I'm sure I could set up a DNS name.

BUT, one thing I do is travel to other sites where I have no control at all over the network. I am certain that requests to open ports and/or set up port forwarding would be flat denied by the network admins.

So am I right in thinking that I couldn't get RU Server to work in those situations?

In which case the other option is to set up a separate machine and leave it at my home office as an RU Server, yes? Presumably the machine doesn't have to be particularly fast or powerful, as the limiting factor is internet speed, and the server is acting as a 'dumb' (!) relay.

Or how easy is it to switch between RU Server self hosting and using your servers? As far as I can tell it's just a case of switching between 'default server' and 'custom server' on the host. So using my own server when I'm in my office, and your servers when I'm out? Though of course I'd have to do this every time I left the office, BEFORE I left.

Many thanks. Mike
Sep 22, 2017 8:58:13 am EDT
Hi Mike,

I connect to only one other computer, which is about 15 miles away.

At my home office I have complete control over routers and so on. I'm sure I could set up a DNS name.

Then why use RU Server at all? You can connect directly to that computer provided you set up a port forwarding rule on your router.

How to set up port forwarding for the Host
Setting up direct connection

Hope that helps.
Sep 22, 2017 9:00:52 am EDT
Hi Conrad

Sorry, I wan't clear. I don't have admin privilege at the 15-miles-away site either. I could probably ask. But to be honest, I'd rather not.
Sep 22, 2017 3:39:14 pm EDT
Hi Mike,

Another way to go would be using the callback/reverse connection. This is also a direct connection type, only in this case it is the Viewer that should be accessible externally rather than the Host (that's why it's "reverse"). Might not be an option if you travel often though with the laptop where the Viewer is installed.

Answering your question regarding where RU Server should/can be installed - it is highly recommended that RU Server is "stationary" , that is it is a dedicated computer with a static IP address, or a DNS name, running 24/7. Perhaps, it's an overkill for just accessing a single computer.

If you experience issues with speed/performance, you may try tweaking some settings. This article may help.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)