Community

Detect remote connection

Links used in this discussion
Hunkel, User (Posts: 2)
Oct 27, 2016 4:45:19 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
This application for remote control looks really good and I'm thinking to use it in a project I'm currently working on. My question is if there is a way to programmatically detect that a remote session is active or not, e.g. is there an API one can use to check status or if an event is written to the Windows Event log when log on/off occurs?
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3013)
Oct 27, 2016 10:48:02 am EDT
Hello Hunkel,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, in the current version (6.x) we do not provide any API that would allow that. But perhaps in version 7 we will.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Hunkel, User (Posts: 2)
Oct 30, 2016 3:28:18 pm EDT
Ok, then I know. It would be a nice feature if you could provide that in the future.  But I found that the information about remote status is written to the host log file so I can use that for now.
8 Lettr, User (Posts: 6)
Feb 26, 2018 4:57:08 pm EST
How about any way of telling if someone is remotely connected to your computer? I understand the OP wondered about programmatically detecting it, but I only want to check on occasion--how would I find that out?
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3013)
Feb 26, 2018 6:49:33 pm EST

8 Lettr wrote:

How about  any  way of telling if someone is remotely connected to your computer? I understand the OP wondered about  programmatically  detecting it, but I only want to check on occasion--how would I find that out?

Thank you for your post.

The Host icon should go red when there is an active remote session. In this current version (6801) it doesn't turn red due to a bug in the final release, but that will be fixed in the upcoming 6.9 release.

Other than that, there are some "administrative" means to ensure that the remote user knows when someone is being connected to (or is attempting to connect) to their computer. They are:

Notification panel
Ask user permission feature

You can also enable sound and balloon hint in Host options:

Detect remote connection - 26 Feb 2018 06:49:19

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)