so just to inform you, nor me nor the RU team found anything strange. Furthermore the problem disappeared itself. Last time it was happening was when Viewer autologin was used, the directories didn't sync (few days ago and only from time to time). After logout/relogin, it worked well. I suspected some timeout, so I carefuly checked all the Windows power settings. I came accross 'hard disk timeout' (no idea why virtual PC has 2 hours timeout by default). Anyway, the only thing I can recommend is check and turn off all power saving features on your server, nothing else was done so far. Also the bug became more rare as we started to save connections into prepared Address books structure (?). I just wanted to let you know about the conclusions.
Hi Conrad, I have sent the mail. Further testing and investigation showed that it behaves kinda random.. I added myself as a user to Directories rights explicitly so I could start working, and left Directory 'Test' with group access only.. In the evening it behave like expected, all directories syncing fine, only Test was left with exclamation mark. In the morning I came to PC and was logged off the console. I couldn't log back in.. So I restarted the service on the server and all Directories came up, even the 'Test' and even after console restart.. I removed myself from few other Directories, left only groups (I'm member of) and everything OK.. I'll observe for few more days and keep the updates..
Edited:Karel Vychodsky - Jul 31, 2019 1:23:36 am EDT
Hi guys.. server reinstall helped. Maybe the sequence of tasks has to be preserved somehow??
1) install server 2) create user (apply) 3) (right after that I have logged user into Viewer) 4) create group and add user into it (apply) 5) create directory and add group permission (apply) -> Viewer pops up window 'New dir avail.' so I added it and it works
Next, randomly adding directories, groups and users works just fine so far. I'm sorry for being so impatient and thanks for help anyways. I hope next person that comes to this thread will continue where we finished.
Hi Conrad, deleting files also didn't help.. I was guessing it could be some missing port forward, is TCP 5655 enough?? No more ports needed?? But after Matt's workaround, I think this is not the core of problem.. I also assume you're testing it on LAN, I'm trying to make it work on the internet (?). I'm also in testing phase, as we want to buy a PRO license, but I want to see how well the software works.. I mean: I can give you access to my 'server' (Win10) if you want to try the 'buggy' configuration, we have TCP 5655 and 3389 (RDP) forwarded. Directory structure and users can be deleted as well as two saved test connections..
And thanks to Matt for update.
At worst scenario I can reinstall whole server and see if it works.
Edited:Karel Vychodsky - Jul 30, 2019 1:36:12 am EDT
A yellow triangle on the cloud icon means that Viewer cannot connect to server to sync the book. This points at connectivity problem, not a permissions problem.
We've just tested setting up address book synс with a group added to permissions list on the top level and every works. We were able to sign in on the server as one of the members of that group and sync the book without an issue.
We could use more screenshots or even a short video. You can send them to email@example.com in case you don't to share them on the forum.
Hi, I found this thread trying to solve same problem. I set up own server - according to manual, firewall and port forwarding, everything works fine, auth, logons, it even gives me the list of address books I have permissions for when I login. But they all appear with exclamation mark and when I try to add a connection to the address book, it gives me the same error as Matt has described before. So I tried suggested workaround, adding an user to one of the address books rights and voila, that one magicaly became online and avail for editations. I'm uploading screen (czech version, sorry), the 'Malinova' directory has user 'kajik' added explicitly and works, others have only group 'SkyNet' which the user 'kajik' is member of. Other directories return error 'sync server is unavailable or offline', Malinova directory works flawlessly, changes sync in 2 seconds..
I'm staying tuned if anyone wants to solve this - or if I find the problem.. PS: using free license to check software functions for now