We are also still having trouble with BD and RU and had to quickly implement another solution to support our clients.
In 2012, we took over 2 clients [6 offices] from another IT company. They already had in place a remote access software from one of the leading companies. As AV protection, some PCs have Bitdefender and some of them Avast installed. Since we took over, we never had any issues with the software itself. None whatsoever. We just tried to install now RU again and guess what? Unable to extract the installer from our one-click-ru package. Virus detected.
Yesterday, when trying to download our custom RU, we got a message on Chrome: "This Type of File Can Harm Your Computer". It doesn't happen every time but when it does, customers are concerned. Not sure what Chrome version they're on.
Again, when trying competitive products, we don't experience any issues on machines with BD or Avast. Isn't that strange?
Your explanations and support are much appreciated however, we're still struggling with RU and I can't see end of it.
Regardless of the terminology and intentions, we need a solution please. Currently, we can't connect to 17 machines. Unable to reinstall [BD stops it]. We would have to travel to 9 remote locations to get things to work as users don't have admin rights on the affected remote machines. RU was purchased not so long ago, our own server set up and so much time spent. For some reason, similar [competitors] software isn't stopped by BD. We just tried 4 different ones on our machines. All good. There must be something not right within the code of RU what triggers alarm.
It's getting worse. Just ran BD scan on 6.9 New software, new malware detected. ----------------------- D:\downloads\RU Beta\viewer6.9.portable.b.zip=>ru.viewer.portable=>rutview.exe=>(Embedded EXE 4r) Gen:Trojan.Heur.DP.ZT0@aqKIFxni Infected