Community

Do you have a multi-user version for Server OSes, like Teamviewer?

Links used in this discussion
David Schlesinger, User (Posts: 5)
Jun 29, 2017 4:26:03 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
version 6.6.07  
[censored] allows for separate sessions per RDP session on a server. Does RU provide that, or will you in the future?
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3013)
Jun 29, 2017 5:47:38 pm EDT
Hello David,

Thank you for your post.

Remote Utilities allows you to switch between existing/running terminal sessions if that is what you mean.  However, Remote Utilities itself cannot act as Microsoft Terminal Services and create sessions.

Hope that helps.
Jun 30, 2017 2:56:20 pm EDT
OK. I *think* this may be what I want. Over the weekend I will have a server available to test on.
The scenario I need to support is where I have approximately 10 or more users who all remote into a terminal/rdp server for their daily work.  

In the case of  [censored] there is a "console 9 character ID" that is assigned to the "machine itself", and if you connect to that then it's as if you are sitting at the console of the server. However, each RDP / session (or user profile) also has its own separate 9 character ID. I think it is assigned per user profile?

So if I want to support a particular user they just tell me their TV ID and I connect to it, and so I am connected to their session and I am on the same desktop.

I want the same functionality in RU - I want to do a support session with them on their desktop. I *don't* want the RDP behavior of taking over a session and kicking the exisitng user off their session.

I think TV's way of doing this only works for Internet 9 character connections, not for direct IP connections, because the server will (usually) just have one IP for all users?
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3013)
Jul 01, 2017 12:15:07 pm EDT
Hi David,

In the case of [censored] there is a "console 9 character ID" that is assigned to the "machine itself", and if you connect to that then it's as if you are sitting at the console of the server. However, each RDP / session (or user profile) also has its own separate 9 character ID. I think it is assigned per user profile?

With Remote Utilities you connect to the same ID and then simply switch to a desired terminal session on the toolbar ("Terminal user switch" icon).

However, if you want each terminal user to have their specific instance of Remote Utilities agent running (and thus have a dedicated connection entry in tech's address book for each terminal user), then you should use Agent instead of Host. Users don't have to re-download the Agent for each session though - they can leave it on their computer and run on demand. Here is a blog post about the differences between Host and Agent.  

I want the same functionality in RU - I want to do a support session with them on their desktop. I *don't* want the RDP behavior of taking over a session and kicking the exisitng user off their session.

That shouldn't happen.

I think TV's way of doing this only works for Internet 9 character connections, not for direct IP connections, because the server will (usually) just have one IP for all users?

An IP address belongs to a network interface rather than to a specific application. I'm no expert in virtualization, but I can guess that it's still possible to set up virtual IP addresses on the same subnet (and hence accessible the same way the server can be accessible) for terminal users/sessions. More on the subject.

Hope that helps.
Jul 01, 2017 11:06:58 pm EDT
Thanks Conrad. This sounds like it will work really well. I will check it out tomorrow.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)