Community

Host won't start, send link to clients, screenlock self-hosted server?

Links used in this discussion
Arlester Christian, User (Posts: 2)
Apr 28, 2020 9:04:16 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I am trying to install host on 2012 R2.  It installs fine no errors but then it does not start, can't see an icon for it.  I have deleted all registry entries for it, deleted all folders it has create and run the uninstall and rebooted. Several times. However each time I do a reinstall it asks me if I want to keep the eaxisting password which tells me it didn't really do a thorough uninstall.  How do I fully and truly do an uninstall?

And while I am on the line

1) Assuming I have setup self-hosted RU server, Is there a way I can simply send a link to somebody so they can click on it and I can connect to their PC?

2) Does the self-hosted RU server always have to be open - it's a Windows 10 box.  Can I screenlock it and still have it working?

Thanks in advance for your attention to this.
Arlester Christian, User (Posts: 2)
Apr 29, 2020 1:49:46 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
To add to this. Just installed Host on another computer - Server 2012R2 -  and the same thing happened. Installs perfectly. Never shows up after that. See it running services.  I have not had this problem with any other remote support software -  [censored] , SimpleHelp, [censored] , [censored] , RemotePC.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Apr 29, 2020 2:08:05 pm EDT
Hello Christian,

Thank you for your message.

However each time I do a reinstall it asks me if I want to keep the eaxisting password which tells me it didn't really do a thorough uninstall. How do I fully and truly do an uninstall?

Please double-check that you have performed a complete uninstallation of Host as described in this complete uninstallation guide.

Assuming I have setup self-hosted RU server, Is there a way I can simply send a link to somebody so they can click on it and I can connect to their PC?

Unfortunately, there's no link that works this way yet. However, here's what can be done for this scenario:
1. Configure a custom One-click installation package or custom Agent via the MSI Configurator tool. This way, you're able to send the downloading link to this custom installation package - the remote user only needs to download the package and run it.
2. When configuring the custom One-Click/Agent package please make sure to specify your custom RU Server on Step 3 - Advanced options of the configuration process. This way, when Host/Agent is started on the remote machine, it will automatically connect to your Server.
3. On the RU Server's side make sure to set up the Auto-import feature. This way, Hosts will be automatically added to a designated folder in your address book once the Hosts connect to the Server the first time.

If set up as described above,  new Hosts will be added to your address book automatically, so you will only need to connect to the remote Host/Agent.

2) Does the self-hosted RU server always have to be open - it's a Windows 10 box. Can I screenlock it and still have it working?

Could you please clarify if you mean that the RU Server is running on a virtual machine and you want to lock it? If this is the case, then you need to make sure that this way the Server service/process is still running on the Server machine and that the Server is accessible from the outside. For more information on making the Server accessible please refer to this page.

Just installed Host on another computer - Server 2012R2 - and the same thing happened. Installs perfectly. Never shows up after that. See it running services.

Could you please clarify if you mean that there's no Host icon in the system tray? If this is the case, then please try referring to this troubleshooting KB guide and see if any of the solutions listed there help to resolve the issue. If you mean something else, please elaborate a bit more on the issue.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)