Community

Process Killing in Task Manager

Links used in this discussion
Jia Lin Leong, User (Posts: 9)
Nov 18, 2020 10:52:03 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,
I have an exe file that has the same name as the agent (rutserv.exe) and both running at the same time. When I closed the RU agent window, my exe program will close together with the agent file but when I ended the RU agent process through the task manager, my exe program wont close together with the agent. So, I am wondering whether is the RU agent is programmed to end all task that has the name 'rutserv.exe' in the task manager when I close the RU agent window?

Your help is much appreciated.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Nov 19, 2020 12:25:11 pm EST
Hello Jia Lin,

Thank you for your message.

The file rutserv.exe and its respective system process are included in Remote Utilities Host installation and are a part of the Agent module as well. The rutserv.exe system process must be running on the remote machine in order for Remote Utilities to work properly.

when I ended the RU agent process through the task manager, my exe program wont close together with the agent.

Could you please confirm if you mean that you select Agent.exe on the Processes tab of the Task Manager (or rutserv.exe on the "Details" tab), then select "End task" and the Agent window stays open on your desktop? If this is the case, then the Agent window should be automatically closed upon the process's ending.

Could you please double-check if you use the latest version of Remote Utilities available? As of this writing, the most recent version is 6.12.2.0 Beta 2.
In case if you use version 6.10.10.0 or any older version, please try updating your Remote Utilities installation before we can proceed to further troubleshooting as the issue might have already been resolved in the most recent release. The latest 6.12.2.0 Beta 2 version is available for the download on this page. When updating, please make sure to update both Viewer and Agent/Host to the same version to avoid version mismatch which might cause some features not working.

Hope that helps.
Nov 19, 2020 10:09:38 pm EST
Hi,
I think there is some misunderstanding here. What I mean is when I have 2 .exe file running with similar process name (img2.jpg) and I closed the agent .exe file (blue logo 'rutserv.exe') by pressing the cross button on the agent window (img3.png), both processes with the name 'rutserv.exe' will be closed together. However, when I ended the task manually from the task manager (img4.png), the other program (red logo 'rutserv.exe') won't be closed together with the agent .exe file.

Thanks for the guidance
Attached Files
Process Killing in Task Manager Process Killing in Task Manager Process Killing in Task Manager
Nov 20, 2020 1:00:53 pm EST
Hello Jia Lin,

Thank you for the clarification.

I've checked with our developers on this - could you please send us your Agent.exe file for examination? Perhaps, the Agent file was damaged or somehow corrupted which is now causing the issue - normally, you should have only one rutserv.exe process with the blue icon. You can send us the file to support@remoteutilities.com.

Meanwhile, please also try removing the current Agent files as described on this page - this will remove current Agent settings in order to avoid picking up old settings. After removing the files and registry key please try re-donwloading the vanilla Agent on this page (or re-configuring a custom Agent) and see if the issue persists.

Hope that helps.
Nov 22, 2020 8:37:29 pm EST
Hi,
The red icon 'rutserv.exe' is actually a self-created exe file and it is not created from either agent or MSI configuration.

Thank you for the time and patient.
Nov 23, 2020 3:42:11 pm EST
Hello Jia Lin,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please clarify what do you mean by "self-created exe file"? In case if you mean that this exe file was downloaded from another third-party software or modified in any other way, then please note that we cannot provide assistance on undocumented capabilities or on modified/illegitimate versions of Remote Utilities. In this case we recommend that you remove the Agent and its files as described in my previous message from your computer and download an official legitimate Agent from our website or configure it using our MSI Configurator tool.
In addition, please note that any illegitimate/malicious use of Remote Utilities, including its modification, reverse engineering, "cracking", etc., is prohibited by our EULA.

Remote Utilities is provided on as is basis and the only customization options are those available in Options/Settings for the corresponding modules and our MSI Configurator. Please note that the Agent should only be running along with only one rutserv.exe process with the blue icon.

In case if you mean something else, please elaborate on this a bit more.

Hope that helps.
Nov 23, 2020 8:06:35 pm EST
Hi,

What I meant by "self-created exe file" is that I created an exe file from some other programming language and given the name of rutserv.exe (which is the same as the agent's name). I am doing this is to test what will happen if there is two application that has the same name running at the same time and I close any one of them.

So, I tested with my "self-created exe file" and that's when I found this problem. By closing the agent, it tends to kill every process with the same name called 'rutserv.exe'. This only happens when the agent is closed from the window but when you closed it from the task manager, everything is as normal (It only ends that specific task (agent)).

In the meantime, I complied with the EULA and didn't make any modification nor cracking to the agent which was configured and generated from your MSI Configurator Tool.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)