Forums

Need to change Internet ID

sed wei, User (Posts: 1)

Dec 23, 2016 2:57:41 am EST

I imaged a backup to three different computers and now they all have the same Internet-ID.  Not unexpected since remote utilities was on the backup.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but they still had the same ID.  I also went to "Advanced / Get New ID" but that seemed to do nothing.
Is there any way to change the Internet-ID on a Host?

Using version 6.5.0.8 on host

Conrad, Administrator (Posts: 1570)

Dec 23, 2016 6:38:01 pm EST

Hello Sed,

Thank you for your post. I will create a ticket from this thread to provide personalized help. We'll need to investigate why this happens in this specific case.

Like Remote Utilities? Write a review:
https://www.remoteutilities.com/about/write-review.php

James Kodrowski, User (Posts: 1)

Jan 02, 2017 10:42:12 pm EST

Hi, I'm having the same issue - cannot generate a new Internet-ID - keeps creating the same one even if I uninstall and reinstall.

Conrad, Administrator (Posts: 1570)

Jan 03, 2017 7:54:30 am EST

Hi James,

Starting version 6.5 an Internet-ID code is unique for each PC. It is always the same. For backward compatibility, if you upgrade older Hosts to the new version their Internet ID is not changed so that you can still connect to them using the old ID. However, once you manually change the ID on those Hosts it will change to a new value and will stick to that value from then on.

BTW, let me explain what happened in the situation described by the initial post in this thread. We resolved this through the tickets and the problem was the machines were cloned after the ID was generated. The Internet ID code is stored in the Host settings in Windows registry. If you install the Host, then generate the Internet ID and then clone the machine, of course you clone everything including the Internet ID code.

So the proper way to do that is to clone the machine after you install the Host but before you generate the ID. In other words,the ID should be generated once the machine is deployed.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Like Remote Utilities? Write a review:
https://www.remoteutilities.com/about/write-review.php

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -5)