I got a notify this morning that ask me to update Remote Utilities viewer & host to the latest version. I try to use "Simple update..." to upgrade these Windows server 2003.
I found that all of them are failed to update remotely, and the service "Remote Utilities - Host" disappeared, and I can't start "Remote Utilities - Host" > "Start Host" in Start Menu manually. So I uninstall and re-install it on-site and everything work fine finally.
Could you please clarify what version of Remote Utilities was used before you tried to update it to 188.8.131.52? Also, could you please clarify if there's any antivirus software running on the machines where the issue occurred?
I upgraded from the previous version (184.108.40.206) of Remote Utilities, and the AV we used on our remote servers is ESET Endpoint Antivirus version 6.6.2078.5.
When I install Remote Utilities - Host on remote server on site, I don't see any response from ESET AV and I had checked the log files of ESET AV, there is nothing special in it (even in HIPS or Blocked files logs).
p.s. I always turn off the Web access protection feature of ESET Endpoint Antivirus, because these servers run Prinect MetaDimension 7.5.1, a RIP system from Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG.
Perhaps, the registry key of the service was indeed corrupted or deleted by antivirus software for some reason. This is a common scenario when the antivirus software doesn't care much about whether their detections are right or by mistake.
However, I highly recommend that you add the Host installation folder to antivirus software exceptions list to avoid future problems in this regard.