Community

Don't see second monitor on host

Links used in this discussion
Rod Corkum, User (Posts: 4)
Aug 26, 2017 12:58:37 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Viewer and Host version 6.7.0.2

I used Remote Utilities a few years ago to remote in from home to my work computer (found it very easy to install and use). I'm now at a new temporary job and have recently installed it to use there. I had dual monitors connected to a laptop and when I connected from home I could see all three screens by simply scrolling sideways on my Viewer screen (single monitor at home.) Due to problems with the laptop it was changed out to a desktop so now I have dual monitors attached to the desktop. When I open Remote Utilities Viewer and connect to my office computer, the Viewer icon shows me logged on and shows a thumbnail of both Host monitor screens properly however when I go over to the Host I see my main monitor but when I scroll sideways, instead of the second monitor screen I just see a black screen.

I installed the Host on the new desktop exactly as I had previously installed it on the laptop so don't know what is preventing me from seeing the second monitor properly. Any suggestions?

All computers are the latest Win 10.

Rod
Halifax, Canada
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3013)
Aug 27, 2017 6:51:18 am EDT
Hello Rod,

Thank you for your message.

The black screen issue may be caused by different reasons by usually it's either "Host restart required" (after the installation, that is) or graphics card/drivers issue in which case the driver should be updated.

Solutions listed on this troubleshooting page can also help. Let us know if you manage to get rid of this issue.

Thanks.
Aug 27, 2017 7:43:06 am EDT
Thanks, Conrad.

I suspect you're right about the graphics card. I'll mention it to the IT person the next time I see him in case he has a reasonably easy solution. However since I'm only there as a temporary fill-in for the next two months, I'll probably just live with it for that time. Not a big deal, as most stuff I would access from home is on the main monitor anyway. The one program I leave on the second monitor screen I can move over to the main screen before I leave work if I expect to access it later.

Rod
Aug 27, 2017 9:02:21 am EDT
Hi Rod,

Also, please try enabling "Use legacy capture mode" in the Host settings. Sometimes it helps override this problem.

Thanks.
Aug 28, 2017 7:16:57 pm EDT
I enabled the legacy capture mode and I think that may have done the trick. That was Friday and I notice tonight that I have my second monitor screen back so guessing that might have been it.
Aug 28, 2017 7:20:00 pm EDT
Great! I'm glad to hear you resolved the issue.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)