Am I ever forced to update?
You are never forced to update and Remote Utilities never updates itself on its own. Only you—the user—can initiate the update process.
Please, note that an update may still be necessary if either of the following is true:
- The version that you use is no longer supported by your current operating system.
- There are bugs in the version that you use, that have been fixed in the new version.
- You need features that have been added in the new version.
How am I notified about a new version?
There are two ways Viewer can notify you about a new version. Both are enabled by default.
- The "Update available" message shown when you start Viewer.
- Notifications with a yellow background that appear at the top of the address book area.
To learn how to disable these messages please refer to this article.
See also Upgrade Policy and Updating Remote Utilities.