Community

[ Closed ] Version 6.9 Beta - main discussion

Page:

Conrad, Administrator (Posts: 2118)

Jun 26, 2018 1:57:07 pm EDT

One important thing to note is that "Simple update" was turned off in the beta so that it doesn't interfere with the stable/main version. Don't worry though - simple update will be available in the final 6.9 release, as normal. Currently, though, if you want to remotely update your Hosts to the beta version, you should use method 2 or 3 described on this page, in the Updating Hosts section (i.e. method 1  "Automatic" won't work for beta).

Like Remote Utilities? Write a review

Alex Coombs, User (Posts: 11)

Jun 26, 2018 3:59:31 pm EDT

Good to know. Thanks for your help.

Cristian Braun, User (Posts: 32)

Jun 28, 2018 10:43:08 pm EDT

I noticed that Android app its not compatible with this beta. Will you update it, or will you wait to final version?

Jun 29, 2018 2:50:50 am EDT

Hi Cristian,

Yes, mobile versions will be updated very soon for compatibility with this beta.

MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 23)

Jun 29, 2018 6:16:25 pm EDT

The box "Do not close this window after configuration" does not appear to be needed anymore now that you have Pre-configure options selectable before clicking on "Finish" in the MSI Configurator.

I just generated one, saved the file, and now I'm back on the final screen where I'll need to click Finish again, which is confusing. When I click Finish again (hoping to exit out), I get the configuration settings prompt, which are different than the previous changes I had already made.  It would be good if they were still the same so I don't have to redo each change again.

So because the file is already generated and I don't need to make more changes and resave, I click on the "X" to close the configuration window, and now its generating a new file from your server again.

So yea, I think the behaviour here needs an update now that you can preconfigure settings instead of post configuration settings like in 6.8.0.1.
Edited:MaxBlitzer - Jun 29, 2018 6:17:55 pm EDT

Jun 29, 2018 6:31:05 pm EDT

In my 6.8.0.1 viewer, one of my computers were in the "Offline/Unknown".  I upgraded my side to 6.9.1.0 and still the same.  I RDP'd into it and ran my one-click configurator exe. I watched in Task manager that the host was already running, and I could see when the one-click installer finished.  On my side, the viewer now shows the computer online (however, still reporting 6.8.0.1 instead of 6.9.1.0), with a new Internet-ID (as I checked in the one-click configurator to generate and email), but I did not receive an email with the new generated password.  So that's a fail.

But now when I go to connect to it, I just get "At least one authorization method must be enabled on remote Host".  When I was doing the one-click authorization, I only wanted to use single password but it was greyed out and I couldn't select it.  Not sure why that was and I think that is a bug.  Either way, if single password is greyed out and the user doesn't select another authorization, you probably should stop and enforce the user to select at least one authorization method.

Jul 02, 2018 8:01:56 am EDT

Hello Max,

Thank you for your message.

The box "Do not close this window after configuration" does not appear to be needed anymore now that you have Pre-configure options selectable before clicking on "Finish" in the MSI Configurator.

The purpose of this checkbox is to let you configure several installers without closing the wizard. You can click Back several times to go back and start a new configuration.

I just generated one, saved the file, and now I'm back on the final screen where I'll need to click Finish again, which is confusing. When I click Finish again (hoping to exit out), I get the configuration settings prompt, which are different than the previous changes I had already made. It would be good if they were still the same so I don't have to redo each change again.

In this case in order to exit you should click the X button at the top right. But thank you for the suggestion about removing the the "Do not close" checkbox anyway. We are going to implement import/export option in the configurator soon and we'll see if we can remove that check box altogether.

So yea, I think the behaviour here needs an update now that you can preconfigure settings instead of post configuration settings like in 6.8.0.1.

Actually, we didn't change much in the configurator . We only made the 4th step more clear in terms of UI and label texts. Otherwise , the configurator is the same as it was in version 6.8.0.1.

Jul 02, 2018 8:09:09 am EDT

Hello,

In my 6.8.0.1 viewer, one of my computers were in the "Offline/Unknown". I upgraded my side to 6.9.1.0 and still the same.

Here, do you mean you updated the Viewer? Ok.

I RDP'd into it and ran my one-click configurator exe. I watched in Task manager that the host was already running, and I could see when the one-click installer finished. On my side, the viewer now shows the computer online (however, still reporting 6.8.0.1 instead of 6.9.1.0), with a new Internet-ID (as I checked in the one-click configurator to generate and email), but I did not receive an email with the new generated password.

Some questions:

- Did you enable "Send via email option" and specified a correct email address?
- Did you check your spam folder in case the email ended up there?

But now when I go to connect to it, I just get "At least one authorization method must be enabled on remote Host". When I was doing the one-click authorization, I only wanted to use single password but it was greyed out and I couldn't select it.

This is because you enabled the "Automatically generate Host password" in the 3rd step. These two options are mutually exclusive. If you enable the "Automatically generate ..." box it is supposed that the program will generate a unique password for each Host. On the other hand, if you clear this check box you can manually set your password when configure settings at the last step. However, in this case the password will be identical for all your Hosts.

Still, it is strange that your settings didn't apply. Could you open the Host settings and check if the Single password check box is enabled at all (Settings for Host -> Authorization) ?

Jul 03, 2018 3:47:13 am EDT

Conrad wrote:

Hello,

In my 6.8.0.1 viewer, one of my computers were in the "Offline/Unknown". I upgraded my side to 6.9.1.0 and still the same.

Here, do you mean you upd ated the Viewer? Ok.

I RDP'd into it and ran my one-click configurator exe. I watched in Task manager that the host was already running, and I could see when the one-click installer finished. On my side, the viewer now shows the computer online (however, still reporting 6.8.0.1 instead of 6.9.1.0), with a new Internet-ID (as I checked in the one-click configurator to generate and email), but I did not receive an email with the new generated password.

Some questions:

- Did you enable "Send via email option" and specified a correct email address?
- Did you check your spam folder in case the email ended up there?

But now when I go to connect to it, I just get "At least one authorization method must be enabled on remote Host". When I was doing the one-click authorization, I only wanted to use single password but it was greyed out and I couldn't select it.

This is because you enabled the "Automatically generate Host password" in the 3rd step. These two options are mutually exclusive. If you enable the "Automatically generate ..." box it is supposed that the program will generate a unique password for each Host. On the other hand, if you clear this check box you can manually se t your password when configure settings at the last step. However, in this case the password will be identical for all your Hosts.

Still, it is strange that your settings didn't apply. Could you open the Host settings and check if the Single password check box is enabled at all (Settings for Host -> Authorization) ?

Yes, I specified my email and checked my SPAM folder.  The same one-click installer used on a new never-installed-remote-utilities-pc did successfully emailed the code and worked with the code.

So after clarification of the expected behaviour, I think the only bug was that it didn't re-email the re-generated host code. I'm also assuming the Viewer displaying the online clients only upd ate Version string after connecting to it, not when it determined it was online.

And no, the upgraded host did not have single password checkbox enabled.  As you said, that is expected if I select it to auto generate the host password. I might have confused code and host password. Actually, I don't think I want to generate a host password randomly, I want to set it to a known password so if I don't get the code emailed, I can still login if I know the ID and the password I se t.

Best regards

Jul 03, 2018 6:48:55 pm EDT

Just made a new MSI one-click to upgrade a PC that already had Remote Utilities installed but wasn't in my viewer, so wasn't sure the ID and what not and wanted it re-sent to me to add to my viewer.

Here is what the options screen looks like, and I later set a single password.  But the main point here, is that I'm NOT getting a new code emailed to me.  If the same .exe is used on a never-installed-RUT computer, then the code is emailed.

Edit: Geez, after I posted this, I see now I do NEED to check "Also generate new Internet-ID code for existing hosts".  I was expecting to get a code emailed regardless of whether it was a new or existing host.

I think the balloon message made me uncheck it and also in the above "Generate a new Internet-ID code", the use of "new" seems redundant if that is only meant to don't-already-have-an-Internet-ID-in-the-first-place.

I thought the use case for the one-click installer was for new installs and for reconnecting failed Remote Utilities hosts due to bugs (ie, Windows 10 upgrades) or other reasons.  For me, no client that was installed pre-6.4.0.1 still works to this day without manually upgrading through another connection method. Which the one-click is nice for.

Edit 2: Ok, I just ran it again on an existing host with the option "Also generate new Internet-ID code for existing hosts". I did get an email containing the Internet-ID, but no code.  I was expecting the copy/paste output to add to viewer using "Add using code". The code is supposed to the host password, ID and something else encoded in the code, no? Does a code not exist when you choose single password authentication?

Edit 3: Ok, with further testing, I think I have two showstoppers (for me) for expanding use of Remote Utilities beyond the half dozen machines I've used it on.

1) The hard pop up above the taskbar settings that prevent you fr om accessing taskbar icons and settings that a person at the desktop needs to click to make it go away.  You don't even allow it to be moved.  This just aggravated me so much, and it's already caused me hassle in the past.  If the RUT host icon is in the taskbar and shows the red colour when someone is remotely accessing it, you really should relax that stupid hard pop up. It really is in one of the worst places.  For my use case, wh ere I typically login after hours when the user is not at the keyboard, this is a showstopper issue.  Just now, I installed it on a machine I use when I work at a friend's house. It's a 30 minute drive. I haven't needed to be there in 6 months.  To get past this hard coded popup, I either need to give my password to someone or drive there to click a box.  I understand your intentions of wanting to inform the user in case the one-click was used maliciously, but you do that like how Microsoft shows the version in the lower right corner of the desktop in beta builds.  A simple watermark that doesn't intrude yet still informs the user.

2) The screen display for stretch and full screen just don't make for a productive setup.  Needing to scroll or having unexpected scroll when moving the mouse is terrible.  Do you guys test with 2 monitors much? That was my test PC just now and it was not usable.  With other remote solutions, I just don't have to touch display settings, they just adjust full screen to my current screen. None of the 4 options presented to me just now allowed for that same display. It was not usable at all.  Edit: Had to change it from "Entire Desktop" to a single display and then Full screen stretch looks nice.  So I think the next feature I'm looking for, is being able to display both displays at the same time in separate stretched full screen views.
Edited:MaxBlitzer - Jul 03, 2018 7:32:04 pm EDT
Page:

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -5)

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.