Remote Utilities on Ubuntu with Wayland
New Remote Utilities for macOS and Linux: Wayland support with unattended access. Learn more →

Community


Released: Remote Utilities 2.0.1 for macOS and Linux

Links used in this discussion
🚀 Remote Utilities 2.0.1 for macOS and Linux is available. It is the first non-beta release of the desktop edition for these platforms, and the first version on the new 2.x numbering.

📝 Blog post | Release notes | ⬇️Download for macOS | ⬇️Download for Linux

Wayland: unattended access on modern Linux desktops

Remote Utilities 2.0.1 works on Wayland. With the Host installed you get:

- Full remote control of a Wayland desktop. No X11 session required.
- Unattended access: connect to the login screen, to a locked screen, and after a reboot, with nobody at the computer.
- Independence from the desktop environment: GNOME, KDE and others.
- No permission pop-ups on the remote side.
- Mouse cursor, multiple monitors and keyboard shortcuts behave as they do on Windows.
- Nothing to configure. The Host detects the session type on its own; existing X11 setups keep working. The "Set up X11" dialog is gone.

One limitation, so nobody has to discover it the hard way: the Agent (the run-without-installation module) cannot capture the screen in a Wayland session. For Wayland machines, use the Host.

Also in this release

- Interface in 23 languages, selectable in Viewer and Host settings.
- Proxy support (HTTP, SOCKS4/4A, SOCKS5) in Viewer and Host.
- Authentication through your own RU Server, with server selection and a user permissions page in the Host.
- Viewer: event log, license key sync with RU Server, address book import and export (XML), Wake-on-LAN, a remembered monitor per connection, keyboard fixes in the remote session.
- Host: Lock input on Linux, a Restart Host item in the tray menu, a Service state page in Settings.
- macOS: full Retina resolution capture, a tray application that stays out of the Dock, fixes for unsaved settings and for a crash on macOS 27.
- Packages: .deb, .rpm and .tar.xz on Linux (the .rpm has no hard dependencies and installs on RED OS, Astra Linux and ALT Linux); universal, notarized builds on macOS.

Coming from the beta

The version numbering and the file names have changed (details in the closing post of the beta thread). Install 2.0.1 over Beta 27 as a normal upgrade.

⚠️ Known limitations in 2.0.1

- Blank screen mode is not available on the macOS/Linux Host yet.
- Lock input is Linux only.
- Remote update of a macOS/Linux Host from the Viewer is not available yet; it is planned.

Questions and reports about 2.0.1 go in this thread. Thanks again to everyone who tested the betas.
Support level: Free or trial
I am receiving the attached message when I try to run Host 2.0.1 on Mac OS Monterey.  System requirements reflect that it will work on Mac OS 10.14 Mojave or later.  Please advise.

Thanks.
Attached Files
Released: Remote Utilities 2.0.1 for macOS and Linux
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your report. Yes, the requirements for macOS were misleading a bit. Actually, it's 13.0 and higher for Host/Agent and 11.0 for Viewer. Unfortunately, this also means that Monterrey won't be supported by Host, sorry for that.

We've updated the system requirements now as well as the build for macOS - Viewer, Agent and Host (without version number change because this issue only has to do with build/export settings rather than software code).

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Will Terminal be available on this soon.  I can access the gui no problem.
Support level: Free or trial
Conrad,

On a Mac Studio 2022 running macOS Tahoe 26.6, locked with the monitor sleeping, I get the "Connectiong to (computer name). Please, wait..." screen remotely. If I connect via Chrome Remote Access and wake the screen, it pops up on RU and is fully accessible, but not until then. Once I'm connected via RU with the login screen open the Mac screen stays on until I log in to the Mac or disconnect.

In the new Android version (which is terrific by the way!), if I go into power control through the floating side panel I can turn the display on (which also makes it visible to my Windows machine).

I had reported this issue in the Beta, but wanted to do so here as well since it still exists.

Thanks!
Jim

Brad M wrote:

Will Terminal be available on this soon.  I can access the gui no problem.

Hi Brad,

We will do our best to add terminal as soon as possible. This is one of our highest priorities for this platform.
Hi Jim,

Thank you for the feedback. Of course, we'll take a look and report back.
Thanks for the good work.
The host works perfect on my Fedora 44 GNOME desktop.
For the viewer though, the viewer can not capture the shortcuts like alt+tab, windows key, etc. This makes controlling the remote computer almost impossible. ChatGPT did develop a workaround for me - a GNOME extension that disables the specific GNOME shortcuts when the Full Control window has focus, but that is a dirty workaround.
And just for the feedback, so you know what features I am missing the most:
* Full screen mode in the viewer
* Connect via another host
once again, thanks and keep up the good work
Hi Radek,

We will fix some shortcut issues in the upcoming update, although the behavior may still differ from environment to environment.

Jim Tracey wrote:

On a Mac Studio 2022 running macOS Tahoe 26.6, locked with the monitor sleeping, I get the "Connectiong to (computer name). Please, wait..." screen remotely. If I connect via Chrome Remote Access and wake the screen, it pops up on RU and is fully accessible, but not until then. Once I'm connected via RU with the login screen open the Mac screen stays on until I log in to the Mac or disconnect.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the report. This will be fixed in the upcoming update in the nearest days.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)