Hi, I'd like to know if it's possible to have a Viewer MSI install file, with connection to the Address Book hosted on our on site Remote Utilities Server (2.0) already in place, instead of having to manually configure it every time. Is this possible, or can this only be done with the Host MSI?
No, you can configure the Host MSI only. For the newly installed Viewer, there are three ways to populate the address book with records:
1. Manually adding them using "Add computer" button.
2. Importing address book records using a corresponding button on the toolbar (Import Tools -> Import Connections).
3. "Plugging in" existing address book file via Address Book Manager (Tools -> Address Book Manager). The address book can reside on a local resource or a shared resource. Finally, you can connect to an automatically synced address book located on the RU Server.
I'm using the automatic sync on the RU Server, I was just hoping to have a way to have the address book already set up, instead of having to create an address book and then sync it. That way I wouldn't have to go and touch every machine I want it installed on. Thanks
2. Unpack the downloaded archive to your local disc.
3. Run the rutview.exe in the folder and populate the address book with records - either manually or (if you already have an address book file created in a different Viewer) use the Tools -> Import Connections command. Close the Viewer.
4. Distribute your folder to whatever machines you want to run Viewer on and run the Viewer executable whenever you want to run the Viewer (you can create a shortcut on Desktop just like for any other file).
I'm assuming that you are using the General address book. In this case you don't have to touch the Address Book Manager at all (it's in the Tools tab).
Nate, in fact you can even distribute a Viewer with a synced address book that way. This is because the sync properties that you specify for an address book in the Address Book Manager are static/same (server and port) and because of the fact that the address book on the RU Server always takes precedence over a local one. So if the local one is outdated (e.g. the Viewer you distributed hadn't been open for a long time) it will simply download the latest address book from the server the next time the Viewer is run.