Community

6.9 msi disappears

Links used in this discussion
David Tripp, User (Posts: 4)
Oct 29, 2018 12:49:19 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I have looked at the install problems posts but they didn't help.

I'm trying to upgrade from 6.8.0.1 to 6.9.  From within the Host, it downloads and then nothing.

So I've saved the msi file to my pc and on completion, Windows 10 deletes it.

Is it possible for RU to post a .exe file for 6.9 please?

Many thanks

DT22
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3013)
Oct 29, 2018 2:13:50 pm EDT
Hello David,

Thank you for your post.

From within the Host, it downloads and then nothing.

There is no automatic mechanism to update manually from within the Host itself. When it comes to automatic Host update  (well, "semi-automatic" because you still have to at least initiate the process)  you should do it from within the Viewer. See Updating Remote Utilities, Updating Hosts -> Method 1.

So I've saved the msi file to my pc and on completion, Windows 10 deletes it.

If you want to update Host manually on the Host computer itself, you should just download it from our site and run the installer, then follow the wizard till the end of the installation process.

I'm not sure I understand about deletion. Do you mean it's Windows Defender that deletes it? Currently, there are no information about Windows Defender false detections (false positives). There was one immediately after the release but Microsoft quickly fixed it.

Is it possible for RU to post a .exe file for 6.9 please?

We only distribute the installer files in the .msi format. But if you need an exe installer you can build it yourself in the Viewer using the MSI Configurator. See One click installer.

Please, note that MSI Configurator is an advanced feature which might be overkill in your situation. If you just need update a single Host manually on the Host computer, all you have to do is to use the original "vanilla" Host installer from the site.

Hope that helps.
Oct 29, 2018 2:51:42 pm EDT
Conrad, many thanks for the quick response.  I apologise, I meant to refer to the Viewer which I tried to update from within the Viewer. The download progress bar appears and when complete, nothing happens and I'm left with 6.8.0.1.

So I was hoping for an exe for the Viewer.

Sorry for wasting your time thinking about the Host, but the other information is useful.
Oct 29, 2018 3:05:16 pm EDT
Hi David,

Conrad, many thanks for the quick response. I apologise, I meant to refer to the Viewer which I tried to update from within the Viewer.

No problem :)

So I was hoping for an exe for the Viewer.

Unfortunately, there is no exe installer for Viewer. However, this issue may point at problems with msi installation on that computer. I recommend that you completely uninstall the Viewer , and then download and install it anew. Here is the direct link for download https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/viewer/  

If you cannot uninstall it using Windows control panel, I recommend that you use this Microsoft tool to fix your Msi installation issues:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Hope that helps.
Oct 29, 2018 3:16:13 pm EDT
Conrad, thanks.

I checked my Comodo protection to find that the downloaded files were immediately quarantined.  Turned it off for a few minutes and am now on 6.9.4.0

So no problem with RU -just my pc.

Thank you once again.
Oct 29, 2018 3:45:32 pm EDT
Hi David,

That's valuable information. We'll immediately contact Comodo and ask them to remove the false positive.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)