v188.8.131.52 fixed the "Host files not found!" problem above, but I found that Avast had quarnteened parts of the viewer. That was easy to fix.
Trying to update the host on my test machine consistently failed due to Avast false positives (which I have not yet worked out how to get around). Fortunately that machine is in the same room with me, so I can see what's happening. Trying remote install failed to update, but left host v184.108.40.206 running. Trying simple update appears to have stopped the host, or maybe uninstalled it; I have not yet checked on that.
I'll maybe wait a few days before trying further host updates, in the hope that false positives will have stopped.
v220.127.116.11 Viewer seemed to install OK on one W7 machine: It can see hosts (all still at v18.104.22.168), and can control at least one of them.
However, on trying to do a remote install of the host to a test machine, with Remote Utilities security, I got a fail message:- ***** Start of log ***** Date: 16/07/2022 19:51:44 Action: install/upgrade. Checking files of the Host. Host files not found! This happened both when trying to install v22.214.171.124 host, and also later when trying to install v126.96.36.199 host.
I also tried remote installs from a different viewr which is still at v188.8.131.52.. Remote install of host v184.108.40.206 succeeded as usual. Remote install of host v220.127.116.11 reported success, but I wa sthen unable to connect to that host. Further inspection showd that the host v18.104.22.168 had been uninstalled, bit v22.214.171.124 has NOT been installed in its place
Manual re-install of v126.96.36.199 using the .exe installer on that machine fortunately worked
I now see that v188.8.131.52 has just been released. I'll download that and see if these problems are also fixed and report back
I have occasional failures of the host tostart after reboot, see my post Host sometimes fails to start after boot-up I see timeout errors in the windows event log. Could it be that after a major update Windows has more to do on first reboot, and the host service times out? Do you see the paired error messages I described?
Most of my systems are rather elderly and somewhat slow. I have at least three where the host service does not always start after switch on or re-start. All are Windows 7, and have host version 184.108.40.206 installed; viewers are also version 220.127.116.11. One is the system which I mostly use as viewer, and I can see that the remote utilities icon in the notification area does not always appear on start up; then I manually start the host. This is not so convenient when the host is remote, but I can sometimes use a competitor product to get in and start the host.
I've looked at host logs, which don't seem to have any relevant entries, though I do see some access violation exceptions there.
However, looking at the Widows event viewer, windows logs, system, and searching for "Remote Utilities", I find pairs of error entries: "A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Remote Utilities - Host service to connect." immediately followed by "The Remote Utilities - Host service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."
I can povide a sample host log, and it looks like I can extract a portion of the Windows log, if those would be helpful.
Hi Graham I too can't ping id.remoteutilities.com from home; I get timeouts. If instead i use tracert id.remoteutilities.com, that tells me the blocking happens after 15 network hops, well beyond my ISP. The last several lines of the result are:- 8 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms be2869.ccr42.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.57 .161] 9 78 ms 78 ms 78 ms be2490.ccr42.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.42 .85] 10 78 ms 78 ms 78 ms be2262.rcr21.ewr03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.47 .122] 11 80 ms 79 ms 81 ms te0-0-1-3.nr11.b017536-1.ewr03.atlas.cogentco.co m [18.104.22.168] 12 76 ms 76 ms 76 ms 22.214.171.124 13 77 ms 77 ms 78 ms edge-03-teb1.us.as19318.net [126.96.36.199] 14 77 ms 77 ms 78 ms edge-05b-teb4.us.trouble-free.net [188.8.131.52]
15 91 ms 78 ms 85 ms switch11n.trouble-free.net [184.108.40.206] 16 * * * Request timed out. 17 * * * Request timed out. 18 * * * Request timed out. 19 * * * Request timed out. 20 ^C I cancelled with ctrl C after the 19th line.
Could you please let us know if you have both Host and Viewer updated to the latest version 220.127.116.11? Please make sure that there's no version mismatch between Host and Viewer as it might lead to performance issues or even some features not working.
Yes, both the Viewer and all the several Hosts tried it with were at the latest version 18.104.22.168. Note that the problem only occurs with the Viewer on Windows XP, not on Windows 7.
Thar reminds me:on my XP Viewer machine at v 22.214.171.124, if I right click anywhere in either of the explorer panes in the file transfer window, the entire screen goes white. Rather scary the first time it happened, but hitting escape key gets back to normal display. I can't remember what happened in v 126.96.36.199, and don't know what is supposed to happen.
Peter, we haven't received other similar reports yet, but we will additionally test how the File Transfer connection mode works with Windows XP to see if we can reproduce the issue. Please note that in version 188.8.131.52 an old mechanism for the File Transfer mode was used which was replaced with an improved mechanism starting version 7 of Remote Utilities.
I've just updated to version 184.108.40.206, and the white screen effect is still present with file transfer on XP Viewer. This is not a big issue for me, since my main Viewer is now Win 7, and in any case I don't use file transfer very often. Also, the options provided by right click (which works on Win 7) are available from the file transfer "file" menu. Peter.