Community

Simple Upgrade fails - blocked by Bitdefender

Links used in this discussion
moonslice, User (Posts: 23)
Jan 27, 2022 2:31:20 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I can't do a simple update on the remote host because Bitdefender labels it as malicious. I can see the folder/file that RU is trying to download the update to is \Windows\Temp\host_upgrade. When I try to 'restore' it from quarantine, Bitdefender says "The System does not have access to restore from \Windows\Temp

1) How can I fix this issue so that simple update will work

2) If that doesn't work, how can i update the remote host PC. I can access directly that PC, so I can do whatever I need by sitting in front of the remote PC.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Jan 27, 2022 4:14:26 pm EST
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

We will immediately submit a false positive report to BitDefender, so that they can remove the detect. It would be also helpful if you could submit a false positive to them as well, since it's more likely that they'll more pay attention to a false positive report from their own existing customer and, hopefully, this will speed up the issue resolution.
You can submit a false positive report as described here. We also recommend that you add Remote Utilities installation folders to the exception list as well, just in case. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2) If that doesn't work, how can i update the remote host PC. I can access directly that PC, so I can do whatever I need by sitting in front of the remote PC.

Please try downloading the vanilla Host installer from our Download page here and simply running it on your Host machine, over the existing installation. This will update the Host's current version, but will keep all of your current settings intact.

We'll keep you updated on this and will let you know as soon as there are any updates on the issue from BitDefender.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Werner Schoenthal, User (Posts: 16)
Feb 02, 2022 1:37:05 pm EST
Support level: Starter
Hello,

I like to install Remote Utilities Host 7.1.2.0 on Bitdefender Total Security protected computer(s) too.
Setting Remote Utilities program folder (x86) and other folders to Bitdefender exceptions doesn't help.
Today I reported file 'host7.1.2.0.exe' and 'host7.1.2.0.msi' as False Positiv to Bitdefender.
Let's see if we can successfully install Remote Utilities host in 72 hours as promised by Bitdefender.

Thank You,
Werner
Feb 02, 2022 2:06:59 pm EST
Hello Werner,

Please also try adding the folders to the exceptions/exclusion from the scan list as described on this page.
In case if some of the Remote Utilities files might have been deleted by Bitdefender, please also try checking the Quarantine and restoring the files from there, here's a guide on how you can do this.

In addition, thank you for submitting the false positive reports - hopefully, this will help to speed up the resolution of the issue since we've submitted the false positive reports to Bitdefender as well.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Feb 02, 2022 2:10:33 pm EST
It didn't help for me to add the folders you suggested for exception - it is focused on the \windows\temp\host_upgrade file and I don't want to exclude the /temp folder - that would be very risky
Feb 02, 2022 4:02:45 pm EST
Hello,

it is focused on the \windows\temp\host_upgrade file and I don't want to exclude the /temp folder - that would be very risky

Of course, we understand this. However, please note that we simply do not have control over Bitdefender mistakenly blocking and deleting the legitimate digitally-signed files of our software.
Unfortunately, in this case we can only suggest to update your Host manually by downloading the vanilla Host installer from our Download page and running it over the existing installation.
In addition, please consider submitting a False Positive report to Bitdefender as well if you haven't done so yet, as this could speed up the resolution of the issue from their side (since they will receive multiple false positive reports from their existing customers).
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope that helps.
Feb 03, 2022 1:19:43 pm EST
"You don't have permissions"
Anytime I try to download either the exe or msi file, it fails as it says I don't have permissions. I think it's an issue of the download not being certified with Microsoft?

I never have this problem with any other files, and I know I don't have any restrictions. I'm an IT and have tried trouble shooters, not having restrictions on the UAC of my Windows user, etc.

I've tried 3 browsers and that doesn't help.

I'm on Windows 10
Edited:moonslice - Feb 03, 2022 1:20:43 pm EST
Feb 03, 2022 2:34:34 pm EST
I'm thinking this might also be related to why the Simple Update fails too.
Feb 03, 2022 4:40:00 pm EST
Hello,

Unfortunately, this issue caused by Bitdefender deleting our legitimate, digitally signed files from your computer (and it seems like changing the file's permissions, so that's why you get the "You don't have permissions" error). We've finally reached Bitdefender via Twitter and they've recommended that our users who experience the issue contact them at bitsy@bitdefender.com. For more information please see this related thread.
Please note that, unfortunately, our assistance with antivirus-related issues is extremely limited, since we don't have any control over them deleting/blocking our software. Hopefully, receiving a few reports from their own customers will help to remove this false positive detect and resolve the issue faster.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if there are any updates or a response from Bitdefender on this.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)