I haven't had much time on it since the sever upgrade, but it does seem to be stable (no connection lost events) for the time I have been on. However, two of three times I started full control I had one connection interrupted event while loading the remote screen. This is better than the multiple tries (up to eight) before. Thanks for the update, and we'll see how it goes.
I was getting connection interrupted/lost every few hours. I upgraded to the latest version and now it happens a few times each hour. This is bordering on unusable. I tried to create a support ticket to upload my host log, but the support page says my license key is invalid. I get lots of error code 1, try counts as high as 8, and some rutserv.exe EOutOfMemory exceptions.