Community

Viewer Won't Load Connection

Tanner Struckman, User (Posts: 3)
Jun 24, 2019 9:28:09 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I have used RU for years and never had this issue. I believe it began when I updated RU a few weeks ago. FWIW, the portable viewer does work, so I'v been using that in the mean time.

All my connections are showing yellow (like they are active) and once I click on when to log in, it pops up a "connecting to" loading box, but then another one pops up that says, "This computer can't connect to the remote computer. Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator."

Even after that, the connection in the list is green, like I'm actually connected to it.

Any help would be appreciated!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Jun 24, 2019 11:52:36 am EDT
Hello Tanner,

Thank you for your message.

The yellow monitor displayed on the connection icon means that the remote Host is accessible, but you are not logged on it yet.

FWIW, the portable viewer does work, so I'v been using that in the mean time.

Could you please clarify if you connect to the same Hosts using the same credentials and connection types? Also, please clarify if you launch the portable Viewer on the same machine as the Viewer that the issue occurred in?
If this is the case, the issue might have occurred if the Viewer configuration file (config_4.xml) somehow was corrupted or deleted. Please, try deleting the config_4.xml file which you may find in the %appdata%\Remote Utilities Files\ folder. This will reset the Viewer settings/options. Your address books won't be affected by this action.

Let me know if the issue persists.
Jun 24, 2019 1:26:05 pm EDT

Polina Krasnoborceva wrote:

Could you please clarify if you connect to the same Hosts using the same credentials and connection types? Also, please clarify if you launch the portable Viewer on the same machine as the Viewer that the issue occurred in?

If this is the case, the issue might have occurred if the Viewer configuration file (config_4.xml) somehow was corrupted or deleted. Please, try deleting the config_4.xml file which you may find in the %appdata%\Remote Utilities Files\ folder. This will reset the Viewer settings/options. Your address books won't be affected by this action.

I'm assuming you mean with the portable Viewer and normal viewer, yes, if that's what you mean, it's all the same. And it is the same machine. Also, I have the viewer on other machines that work on the normal viewer fine.

I will try this and come back to let you know!
Edited:Tanner Struckman - Jun 24, 2019 1:26:35 pm EDT
Jun 24, 2019 1:32:20 pm EDT
This worked! Thank you very much!!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Jun 24, 2019 1:43:30 pm EDT
Hello Tanner,

I'm glad to hear it worked for you!

Also, I have the viewer on other machines that work on the normal viewer fine.

It means that the config_4.xml file was corrupted and it was causing the issue. I highly recommend that you add the Viewer installation folder and the %appdata%\Remote Utilities Files\ folder to antivirus software exceptions list to avoid future problems in this regard.

Let me know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)