Community

[ Closed ] Version 6.0 Beta - main discussion

Page:
Links used in this discussion

Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2406)

Nov 27, 2014 10:49:50 am EST

12/16/2014 UPDATE: Version 6.0 final has been released. The discussions on the beta testing forum are now closed. Please, send your bug reports and suggestions to one of the regular forums.

What's new (click on the links for more information):

Mike G, User (Posts: 28)

Dec 04, 2014 4:18:21 am EST

Hi Conrad,
Looking forward to this upgrade! Questions:

-Am I right in assuming that the new shared Address Book functionality is only available via running our own GMS and will not be available via your RUT hosted servers?

-Is there any functionality to 'merge' address books? Or at least be able to move a PC entry fr om one address book to another? (Mark and 'Send To' another address book or drag and drop between books) We have several address books totaling 100's of PC entries and need to create a 'common' address book.

-We requested a (much needed) free-form text field to add a note to each PC's address book entry. Is this available in 6.x? If not, can you add it? This allows us the ability to consolidate info about the PC and user into one location, i.e., RUT!

-One of our biggest issues faced is getting our RUT MSI installed via RDP. Has this been fixed in 6?

-A few of our customers servers (SBS2011 seems to be the commonality) have an issue with the version of MSXML and their log files growing into Gb size with many thousands of MSXML messages. Has this been fixed? (Independent of the MSXML issue) Is there a way we can lim it the connection log size on the host (or turn it off) to ensure it never grows too large?

-We requested improvements to the MSI installer email message generated at install, specifically changing the 'Username: SYSTEM' to correctly reflect the current user logged into the PC. Is this in version 6?

-Finally(!), looking forward, what facilities are available to upgrade our existing v5.x custom MSI installed hosts to v6? Also, can we use the v6 viewer with v5.x hosts?

Thanks for all your hard work and great product!

Mike

Dec 04, 2014 5:58:39 am EST

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the questions.

-Am I right in assuming that the new shared Address Book functionality is only available via running our own GMS and will not be available via your RUT hosted servers?

Yes, you are right. We are just stepping into this territory, and online sync is a far more complicated issue than a local one. Therefore we decided to start small.  

-Is there any functionality to 'merge' address books? Or at least be able to move a PC entry fr om one address book to another? (Mark and 'Send To' another address book or drag and drop between books) We have several address books totaling 100's of PC entries and need to create a 'common' address book.

You can move folders and records from one address book to another in Viewer 6.0, regardless of whether it's a local or synced address book. Simply drag a folder or record from one book and drop it in the other one.

-We requested a (much needed) free-form text field to add a note to each PC's address book entry. Is this available in 6.x? If not, can you add it? This allows us the ability to consolidate info about the PC and user into one location, i.e., RUT!

We certainly have this suggestion on our roadmap but haven't implemented it yet. We'll see if we can add it to the final 6.0 release. Thank you for the reminder.

-One of our biggest issues faced is getting our RUT MSI installed via RDP. Has this been fixed in 6?

Hmm, could you please remind the details? What specifically went wrong?

-A few of our customers servers (SBS2011 seems to be the commonality) have an issue with the version of MSXML and their log files growing into Gb size with many thousands of MSXML messages. Has this been fixed?

Test is needed. You could try to install the new Host on a couple of those servers and see if the issue is still present.

(Independent of the MSXML issue) Is there a way we can lim it the connection log size on the host (or turn it off) to ensure it never grows too large?

Currently, you cannot limit the log size but you can turn it off. See Settings for Host -> Options -> Logging tab.

-We requested improvements to the MSI installer email message generated at install, specifically changing the 'Username: SYSTEM' to correctly reflect the current user logged into the PC. Is this in version 6?

I'll check it out and get back to you soon.

-Finally(!), looking forward, what facilities are available to upgrade our existing v5.x custom MSI installed hosts to v6? Also, can we use the v6 viewer with v5.x hosts?

I'm afraid you will have to build your custom MSI from scratch :) It's an entirely new version and code.

Mike G, User (Posts: 28)

Dec 04, 2014 10:04:37 am EST

Yes, you are right. We are just stepping into this territory, and online sync is a far more complicated issue than a local one. Therefore we decided to start small.

OK, no problem. So if we have 2 people 'synced' to the same address book (me and another person, for example), I must always sync first (from the GMS) before I make any local changes and then 'sync' my changes to the GMS for the other person (and vice-versa)?

You can move folders and records fr om one address book to another in Viewer 6.0, regardless of whether it's a local or synced address book. Simply drag a folder or record fr om one book and drop it in the other one.

Great! That should be enough to combine and tidy the lists we have

We certainly have this suggestion on our roadmap but haven't implemented it yet. We'll see if we can add it to the final 6.0 release. Thank you for the reminder.

Thanks.

Hmm, could you please remind the details? What specifically went wrong?

See this post:  Installation via RDP problems

-A few of our customers servers (SBS2011 seems to be the commonality) have an issue with the version of MSXML and their log files growing into Gb size with many thousands of MSXML messages. Has this been fixed?

Test is needed. You could try to install the new Host on a couple of those servers and see if the issue is still present.

It was this issue: Microsoft MSXML is not installed Error

(Independent of the MSXML issue) Is there a way we can lim it the connection log size on the host (or turn it off) to ensure it never grows too large?

Currently, you cannot lim it the log size but you can turn it off. See  Settings for Host  ->  Options  ->  Logging  tab.

Looks good. Can this be pre-configured (logging turned off) in our custom MSI installer package?

I'll check it out and get back to you soon.

Thanks.

I'm afraid you will have to build your custom MSI from scratch   It's an entirely new version and code.

I've never done any upgrades (We still have all hosts on 5.6.0.5). I assumed we would be re-building the custom MSI (and agent) from scratch. I was asking what the upgrade strategy/procedure to remotely update all hosts to 6.x?

Also, forgot to ask, is v6.0 a free upgrade from v5.6.x?

Thanks Conrad

Dec 04, 2014 11:01:56 am EST

Mike G wrote:
OK, no problem. So if we have 2 people 'synced' to the same address book (me and another person, for example), I must always sync first (from the GMS) before I make any local changes and then 'sync' my changes to the GMS for the other person (and vice-versa)?

Actually the sync is automatic, you don't have to do anything special. Any changes are immediately uploaded to the RU server provided there's working connectivity.

See this post: Installation via RDP problems

Ok, I will check with our developers and update you on the status.

It was this issue: Microsoft MSXML is not installed Error

Ok. Please, try the new version and see if the problem persists.

I was asking what the upgrade strategy/procedure to remotely update all hosts to 6.x?

It's the same as with any other version. You need to either use the vanilla installer or custom-build your own installer and then use the Remote Install tool to upgrade remote hosts. Or do it manually on the Hosts, if need be.

Also, forgot to ask, is v6.0 a free upgrade from v5.6.x?

As per our Upgrade Policy, customers who purchased the software a year before the final release date or later are eligible for free upgrade. Customers who purchased earlier can purchase the upgrade with a discount.

The new version will have a new license key format. So when we make the final release we'll also provide an interface/webpage for customers to replace their old keys with new ones or get a discount coupon.

Jeff Lowe, User (Posts: 5)

Dec 04, 2014 1:14:47 pm EST

I am having difficulties with Address Book Synchronization.  I notice that there is an Exclamation mark "!" briefly displayed on the Cloud Icon for the new box when I add or edit the entry.  This is occurring on all host entries both inside & outside our network.  Port 5655 forwarding is working because I can setup & access Address Book entries.  I do not see anything in any of the logs to indicate what may be causing the problem.

Dec 04, 2014 2:12:39 pm EST

Adding to my previous post, the RU Server (RUS) is running on Windows 2012r2.  I uninstalled the RUS & am now receiving this message when attempting to re-install:

Exception EOIeException in module InternetIdService.exe at f0011D0FB.
The system cannot find the file specified.

When I click OK I receive this message:

The InstallShield Wizard has successfully installed Remote Utilities Server. Click Finish to exit the wizard.

I do not receive the error if I rerun Setup & select the Repair option.  I have tried uninstalling, rebooting & reinstalling with the same results.

Dec 04, 2014 2:24:57 pm EST

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Lowe wrote:
I am having difficulties with Address Book Synchronization.  I notice that there is an Exclamation mark "!" briefly displayed on the Cloud Icon for the new box when I add or edit the entry.  This is occurring on all host entries both inside & outside our network.  Port 5655 forwarding is working because I can setup & access Address Book entries.  I do not see anything in any of the logs to indicate what may be causing the problem.

You need to double-check the RU Server address in the address book online sync settings (Address Book Manager -> Target address book -> Edit -> Online synchronization). If you use the password, make sure that it's the same both here on the Viewer and in your RU Server sync settings.

Regarding the RU Server re-installation problem, please try this "Install and Uninstall" troubleshooter from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/

Hope that helps.

Dec 04, 2014 2:26:44 pm EST

Mike G wrote:

Mike, we will add this feature to the final 6.0 release.

Dec 04, 2014 3:25:15 pm EST

I checked & rechecked the RU Server address & passwords on all connections & they matched.  I also Removed passwords from all connections & unchecked use passwords in the RU Server & I still see the "!" & sync is still not working.
Page:

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -5)

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.