Community

Temporary Password

Links used in this discussion
Holger, User (Posts: 3)
Aug 01, 2014 2:47:26 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hello Remote Utilities team and Forum Admins,

I'm currently testing Remote Utilities to replace  [censored] in our company.

Till now I like what I see, but I'm hardly missing an option to give someone a temporary password to let him connect to the Host only ONCE or only when I want him to connect. There are cases, where I don't want to giving someone the permanent password to connect to our server without my control.

As far as I can see, this option is not implemented right now.
Is there a chance, that such a feature will be implemented in the future?

With regards,

Holger Hensen
Anton Kalugin, User (Posts: 209)
Aug 04, 2014 12:52:52 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Right now you can use our Agent for this purpose.
It was developed especially for one-time sessions. Just stop Host -> run Agent -> stop Agent after that session and run Host again.

But we will think about implementing this particular feature in Host in the future.

Don't hesitate to ask me, if you have any questions.
Aug 05, 2014 1:28:25 am EDT
Hello Mr. Kalugin,

thank you for your explanation.

I didn't try the Agent so far, but if he offers that feature, I'll be able to work with that.

Nevertheless it is a bit inconvenient, that you have to close the Host and run the Agent and after that close the Agent and run the Host again, if someone needs to get connection only once. So an implementation into the Host would be a much more convenient solution!

With regards,

Holger Hensen
Anton Kalugin, User (Posts: 209)
Aug 05, 2014 1:54:58 pm EDT
Hello,

I've found another solution, which could be more convenient for you.

If you go to Settings for Host -> Security -> User and access control... -> Add..., you will be able to create a new User with a unique password. Here's how it will look:

And then you can activate and diactivate this User whenever you want using this checkbox:

It's not exactly what you want, but it will be easier for you than using an Agent.
Aug 06, 2014 2:35:25 am EDT
Hello Mr. Kalugin,

thanks again for helping me out.

This solution is looking much better and much more comfortable, so I will choose that one till there might be a temp. password.

With regards,

Holger Hensen

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)