Community

[ Closed ] Version 6.9 Beta - main discussion

Page:
Links used in this discussion

Conrad, Support (Posts: 2371)

Jul 05, 2018 6:38:27 am EDT

Hello Max,

So after clarification of the expected behaviour, I think the only bug was that it didn't re-email the re-generated host code. I'm also assuming the Viewer displaying the online clients only upd ate Version string after connecting to it, not when it determined it was online.

The code is emailed only once. You can tell if the Host sent the email by looking at the Host log after installation. There should be a record about that.

And no, the upgraded host did not have single password checkbox enabled. As you said, that is expected if I select it to auto generate the host password. I might have confused code and host password. Actually, I don't think I want to generate a host password randomly, I want to set it to a known password so if I don't get the code emailed, I can still login if I know the ID and the password I se t.

There are Internet-ID code and Host access password (single password authorization). You can still get the ID emailed to you even if you do not enable "Automatically generate password" box and manually set the password in Host settings in the last step. In this case the email will be sent unencrypted because it will only contain the Internet-ID.

Jul 05, 2018 7:10:18 am EDT

Hello,

Edit: Geez, after I posted this, I see now I do NEED to check "Also generate new Internet-ID code for existing hosts". I was expecting to get a code emailed regardless of whether it was a new or existing host.

The reason why the program does not apply the new Internet-ID settings when you upgrade existing hosts  unless you check "Also generate new etc."  is to avoid a situation of your losing remote access to Hosts already on your address book. The same applies to Internet-ID server settings at the bottom of the screenshot.

Edit 2: Ok, I just ran it again on an existing host with the option "Also generate new Internet-ID code for existing hosts". I did get an email containing the Internet-ID, but no code. I was expecting the copy/paste output to add to viewer using "Add using code". The code is supposed to the host password, ID and something else encoded in the code, no? Does a code not exist when you choose single password authentication?

The encrypted code is only used if you enable the "Automatically generate host password option". It is encrypted because it contains not only the Internet-ID code but also your password and you would not want this  to be emailed unprotected.

Let's not confuse the following terms:

Internet-ID code - a 12-digit number that serves as an address of the remote computer (Host) whenever you use Internet-ID connection

Single/master password -  a password that you set when using the Single-password authorization. You do not necessarily have to use single password authorization, there are other authorization types (e.g. Windows security etc.). Starting version 6.9.0.1 beta you can select authorization methods separately or set multiple methods.

Encrypted code - a block of encrypted text sent via email when you use the "Send via email" and "Automatically generate host password" features. This encrypted text contains your Internet-ID and password. You can add a new connection to your Viewer's address book by pasting this code into the "Add using code" dialog.

1) The hard pop up above the taskbar settings that prevent you fr om accessing taskbar icons and settings that a person at the desktop needs to click to make it go away.

You probably mean the first connection warning. This warning is shown only once and will go away if either of the following is true:

- The remote user clicks on it
- You connect to that Host from a Viewer registered with a PRO or SITE license

The screen display for stretch and full screen just don't make for a productive setup. Needing to scroll or having unexpected scroll when moving the mouse is terrible.

You might want to turn off the  "Advanced mouse scroll " option in connection properties .

Do you guys test with 2 monitors much? That was my test PC just now and it was not usable. With other remote solutions, I just don't have to touch display settings, they just adjust full screen to my current screen. None of the 4 options presented to me just now allowed for that same display. It was not usable at all.

Stretching the screen and changing its screen resolution is not the same. Remote Utilities cannot automatically change the remote screen resolution for you to make it equal to your local screen resolution, if that's what you mean.  

Edit: Had to change it from "Entire Desktop" to a single display and then Full screen stretch looks nice. So I think the next feature I'm looking for, is being able to display both displays at the same time in separate stretched full screen views.

Do you mean displaying them on two different local monitors? So you have two remote monitors and two local monitors, and you want to map each remote monitor to a specific local monitor. Is that the case?

I also encourage you to post more general issues and feature requests to either Windows version discussion or Feature requests. This discussion is dedicated to bugs and issues specific to the recent beta version.

MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 36)

Jul 06, 2018 4:37:23 am EDT

Support level: Starter

You probably mean the first connection warning. This warning is shown only once and will go away if either of the following is true:

- The remote user clicks on it
- You connect to that Host fr om a Viewer registered with a PRO or SITE license

Yes, that. Though, I think you mean "local user" (person at the location of the PC) since I am the remote user (person at another location) and I can't click on it and its in the way.  Since I would only ever be a STARTER, this is a showstopper for me.  Are you saying in that documentation that "remote user" is actually the person AT the keyboard???  I guess this is a perspective (from a technician point of view) issue, but generally the person AT the PC is local and the person NOT at the PC is remote (local user, remote technician).  I guess unattended remote access isn't so much your target customer as remote technicians wh ere this might make some sense.

You might want to turn off the "Advanced mouse scroll " option in connection properties .

Thanks. So in the viewer, I click "Connection" and then "Properties". Nothing happens. But then I see you set your new default connection settings when editing the properties of an existing connection.  So if making multiple edits on multiple pages, and click "Set as default for new connections", some settings are ignored (ie, Names, ID's, ) and some are applied (tick box stuff)?  You might want to think about making a default connection settings page you can access from Connection->Properties that doesn't include connection specific properties.

Do you mean displaying them on two different local monitors? So you have two remote monitors and two local monitors, and you want to map each remote monitor to a specific local monitor. Is that the case?

Correct. Two remote monitors and two local monitors, and I want to map each remote monitor to a specific local monitor.  Since this is not a beta feature, I agree this isn't the place.

Jul 07, 2018 5:41:17 am EDT

Hi Max,

Yes, that. Though, I think you mean "local user" (person at the location of the PC) since I am the remote user (person at another location) and I can't click on it and its in the way.

Yes, this depends on where you are. But in our documentation and elsewhere on the site we use these terms in relation to where the tech/admin is located. So the admin is the local user whereas the user who is sitting at the computer to which the admin is connecting in is the remote user.

I guess unattended remote access isn't so much your target customer as remote technicians wh ere this might make some sense.

With unattended access no remote user is present.

Correct. Two remote monitors and two local monitors, and I want to map each remote monitor to a specific local monitor. Since this is not a beta feature, I agree this isn't the place.

This thread can help.

Thanks.

MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 36)

Jul 07, 2018 5:54:35 am EDT

Support level: Starter

Conrad wrote:

Hi Max,

Yes, that. Though, I think you mean "local user" (person at the location of the PC) since I am the remote user (person at another location) and I can't click on it and its in the way.

Yes, this depends on where you are. But in our documentation and elsewhere on the site we use these terms in relation to where the tech/admin is located. So the admin is the local user whereas the user who is sitting at the computer to which the admin is connecting in is the remote user.

I guess unattended remote access isn't so much your target customer as remote technicians wh ere this might make some sense.

With unattended access no remote user is present.

Correct. Two remote monitors and two local monitors, and I want to map each remote monitor to a specific local monitor. Since this is not a beta feature, I agree this isn't the place.

This thread  can help.

Thanks.

Awesome! Thanks

jackk, User (Posts: 23)

Jul 26, 2018 11:29:34 pm EDT

I have the RU Server installed.  When I create an MSI and tell it to auto-generate an ID and use the custom server, it seems that when the MSI is ran, it grabs a default/public server ID.  The ID on the client does not show on my ru server.  If I go to the ID on the client and tell it to generate a new ID, then the new ID shows up on my server.

Jul 27, 2018 1:37:19 am EDT

Hello Jack,

Thank you for your comment.

When I create an MSI and tell it to auto-generate an ID and use the custom server, it seems that when the MSI is ran, it grabs a default/public server ID. The ID on the client does not show on my ru server. If I go to the ID on the client and tell it to generate a new ID, then the new ID shows up on my server.

Some questions:

1. Do you use online or legacy option?
2. What is the type of installer that you choose (standard, one click or agent)?
3. Could you please send us the Host log? Feel free to send it to support@remote-utilities.com as an attachment. This issue might also mean that the Host simply doesn't connect the first time for some reason, the log should reflect that.

Looking forward to your reply.

Jul 27, 2018 1:14:52 pm EDT

Conrad wrote:

Hello Jack,

Thank you for your comment.

When I create an MSI and tell it to auto-generate an ID and use the custom server, it seems that when the MSI is ran, it grabs a default/public server ID. The ID on the client does not show on my ru server. If I go to the ID on the client and tell it to generate a new ID, then the new ID shows up on my server.

Some questions:

1. Do you use online or legacy option?
2. What is the type of installer that you choose (standard, one click or agent)?
3. Could you please send us the  Host log ? Feel free to send it to support@remote-utilities.com as an attachment. This issue might also mean that the Host simply doesn't connect the first time for some reason, the log should reflect that.

Looking forward to your reply.

Okay, I think it just wasn't connecting yet, but later it did on further testing.

Jul 27, 2018 1:18:17 pm EDT

Another issue I have found:

I am using simple password + 2 factor authy.  If I put a wrong one-time password in, it says the password is wrong, and then it goes to the simple password entry box, so it you then type in the correct one-time password, you are actually changing the simple password.  Then, of course, it really doesn't work, you have to fix the simple password and then put in the one-time password.  What makes it worse is that it won't accept a one-time password that is a few seconds away from expiration, so many times the one-time password is wrong.  Most implementations will allow you to use a one-time password for a few more seconds so that you don't have to sit and wait for the next password to be generated if you are near the end of the 30 second window.

Jul 27, 2018 4:29:34 pm EDT

Hello Jack,

f I put a wrong one-time password in, it says the password is wrong, and then it goes to the simple password entry box, so it you then type in the correct one-time password, you are actually changing the simple password.

Sorry, could you please elaborate on this. You cannot change the single password from the Viewer side, you can only change it on the Host side, in Host authorization settings.

When you enter a wrong one-time password you are returned to the single-password prompt window. There you need to click OK again (your single password remains pre-filled) to invoke the one-time password prompt window.  

I assume that you are entering the one-time password in the single-password dialog and that makes it all confusing. I can agree that perhaps this specific interface routine needs some reconsideration. I will immediately forward it to our development.

Thanks!
Page:

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using this website you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.