Forums

Question on Business Class License - One "Operator"

Herb Salls, User (Posts: 5)

Jan 23, 2014 9:51:39 am EST

Hi - Found Remote Utils. Great looking stuff. I am scrambling around trying to fix what LMI broke with their recent announcement...

I want to purchase the "one operator" license of RU for our small business (<40 workstations). It's enough of a cost savings over GoToMyPC for our size operation to warrant a purchase of something pro level as this appears to be.

Question: I will be the one operator almost 95% of the time. But, I go on vacation for 2 weeks. I need to have someone cover. How does RU want me to handle this? IOW, am I permitted to "transfer" the one operator license to a second party inside our building on his machine and take it off of mine? Or let's say I retire. Same deal. How does the "one operator" system work when the original "one owner" is out?

Thanks.

HoibO
Edited:Herb Salls - Jan 23, 2014 9:54:06 am EST (typo)

Conrad Sallian, Administrator (Posts: 1163)

Jan 23, 2014 10:56:10 am EST

Herb Salls wrote:
Hi - Found Remote Utils. Great looking stuff. I am scrambling around trying to fix what LMI broke with their recent announcement...

I want to purchase the "one operator" license of RU for our small business (<40 workstations). It's enough of a cost savings over GoToMyPC for our size operation to warrant a purchase of something pro level as this appears to be.

Question: I will be the one operator almost 95% of the time. But, I go on vacation for 2 weeks. I need to have someone cover. How does RU want me to handle this? IOW, am I permitted to "transfer" the one operator license to a second party inside our building on his machine and take it off of mine? Or let's say I retire. Same deal. How does the "one operator" system work when the original "one owner" is out?

Thanks.

HoibO
Hello Herb,

Thank you for your question!

The actual module that you register with your product key is the Host module on the remote PC. Only with the "per operator" license the number of Remote PCs is unlimited.

You can register remote PCs en masse, or embed your product key into the Host installer, or even register the remote PC "on demand". That's why it's handy to keep your license key in the license key storage in the Viewer to use when needed.

The License Key Storage in the Viewer is for convenience, that is to store your license at hand. You can install as many Viewers on as many machines as you need and add your product key there to the storage. If you own 1 "per operator" license, it means that you can work from one Viewer machine at a time, any machine. There's no hardware binding.

Again, one machine doesn't mean one concurrent connection/session. You can establish as many concurrent connections from the same machine to as many PCs you need.

The fact that we ask to register Hosts, even with the operator license, is for a reason. This helps us support and offer two very different licensing models (per remote PC and per operator).

Hope that helps. Please, don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Jan 23, 2014 12:41:14 pm EST

Oh OK, I get it. The license key isn't embedded in the Viewer - it's on the host. Therefore I can install the Viewer wherever and whenever I need it, right? So my back up op can have the viewer on his screen. Very handy...

Cool!

Jan 23, 2014 1:22:47 pm EST

Herb Salls wrote:
Oh OK, I get it. The license key isn't embedded in the Viewer - it's on the host. Therefore I can install the Viewer wherever and whenever I need it, right? So my back up op can have the viewer on his screen. Very handy...

Cool!
Correct.

Jan 23, 2014 1:31:39 pm EST

I'm still a little unsure. The viewer - can it be used by regular users to gain access to their computer, like from home to work? Similar to what we used to do with LMI?

H

Jan 23, 2014 1:54:47 pm EST

Herb Salls wrote:
I'm still a little unsure. The viewer - can it be used by regular users to gain access to their computer, like from home to work? Similar to what we used to do with LMI?

H
Yes, they can. Once the Host is registered, it's registered. The license has been applied. Anyone can connect to that Host.
Of course, they need to know its IP, ID or DNS and the access password to be able to connect successfully.

Jan 23, 2014 2:07:05 pm EST

OK, and RU works through your firewall(s) to find the target.
Sorry for all these questions. I just want to make sure before we lay down the money.
Frankly, this is almost too good to be true...

Is your company located in the US or is it overseas?

H

Jan 23, 2014 2:30:03 pm EST

Herb Salls wrote:
OK, and RU works through your firewall(s) to find the target.
Sorry for all these questions. I just want to make sure before we lay down the money.
Frankly, this is almost too good to be true...

Is your company located in the US or is it overseas?

H
You are probably interested how we know that the allowed license count is respected. :) It's simple, our Internet ID servers watch that. Therefore, if you have 1 "per operator" license, you:

1. Can connect from any number of Viewers to any Hosts registered with your license.

2. At any given moment only one Viewer machine can use the software ( a single session or multiple concerrent sessions, it doesn't matter).

If it's easier for you to understand this license, you can think term "channel", like another popular software uses. But in our opinion, "per operator" works better because, in fact, concurrent sessions from one machine are never restricted.

So if you have a certain number of Hosts, and several people that need to connect to those Hosts simultaneously, then the "per remote PC" option is better, perhaps. I recommend taking a look at our Licensing page, because it provides some examples http://www.remoteutilities.com/buy/licensing.php

Our development team is located in Russia - Moscow and Rostov-on-Don. Legally, we are registered in the republic of Seychelles. The bulk of our paid customers are from the US, as one might expect.

Jan 23, 2014 2:45:05 pm EST

OK, so that's what I really wanted. I have users who have to use from home. I have "me" who has to manage from here. I now think you are right - the per computer model is probably a better choice for the 10 users who need to come in from home. Not everyone does here.

And again, just to be sure, this per computer license (as I read it) is permanent. We own it, no annual renewals, no annual fees, We purchase it and that's it. Major upgrades for a year. And then you'll treat us right with reasonable upgrade costs after that year expires. Right?

H

Jan 23, 2014 2:59:39 pm EST

Herb Salls wrote:
OK, so that's what I really wanted. I have users who have to use from home. I have "me" who has to manage from here. I now think you are right - the per computer model is probably a better choice for the 10 users who need to come in from home. Not everyone does here.

And again, just to be sure, this per computer license (as I read it) is permanent. We own it, no annual renewals, no annual fees, We purchase it and that's it. Major upgrades for a year. And then you'll treat us right with reasonable upgrade costs after that year expires. Right?

H
Yes, the license is lifetime for the current major version (5.x in this case). We also have a clearly stated upgrade policy http://www.remoteutilities.com/buy/upgrade-policy.php . Existing customers get 40% discount when they upgrade major-version, IF they want to upgrade. It's not mandatory. If the major version is released with a year since their purchase, the upgrade is free.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -5)